Star Lounger
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA

Can not delete folder (2003)

I have an issue with a customer not able to permanently delete a folder in Outlook 2003.

An empty folder has been sent to the deleted items folder, but will not delete permanently. It is causing auto delete to fail on other items in the deleted items folder. She gets the following error message: "Outlook has not finished synchronizing local changes made to items in this folder. You cannot delete this folder until the synchronization with the server is complete." It has been like this for several days, more than enough time to synchronize.

We tried deleting from the deleted files folder and also with shift-del, same outcome.

I had her turn off cached exchange mode and the folder disappeared. When she turned cached mode back on it reappeared.

Detect&Repair did not help.

I tired having her turn off cached mode, create a new folder with same name and location, then turn cached mode back on. There were then two folders with the same name. She successfully deleted the new one, but not old one.

As a workaround, I just had her move the folder to an out-of-the-way location to allow auto-delete to function. But I'm really curious as to how to fix the actual problem. Anyone got any ideas?

Silicon Valley, USA

Re: Can not delete folder (2003)

Sorry if this is a ridiculous suggestion, but... if she creates a throwaway PST, can she drag the deleted folder from the server based mailbox into the PST's Deleted Items folder?