Thanks

What is Space After a Paragraph: Auto? (2000)

I'm attempting to use Word 2000 to convert a set of HTML pages into a printable Word document. Along the way I've encountered some elements of Word that are new to me. Unfortunately, they also seem to be largely undocumented (or at least difficult to find in the Help system). Hence the following question:

What does a Paragraph | Format | Space Before/After setting of Auto mean? Where is it controlled from?

Thanks,

Paulius

BAM

Re: What is Space After a Paragraph: Auto? (2000)

Hi Paulius,

I can't necessarily reproduce what you are seeing, but I believe that is set in Tools/Options Compatibility Options and "Don't use HTML paragraph auto spacing"

With this turned on, Word sets the paragraph spacing to the larger of the spacing used in Before/After between the paragraphs. With it turned off, Word uses both measurements defined in Space Before/After between the paragraphs.

Note that in previous versions of Word did not have this option and always used both measurements.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

Thanks

Re: What is Space After a Paragraph: Auto? (2000)

So, I'm looking at a numbered list that's come from the HTML file. The spacing appears to be around 6pt before the first item and after the last, and no spacing between items.

When I follow BAM's suggestion and tick the mentioned compatibility option (gee, there's some bizarre stuff in this list!), suddenly every item in the numbered list appears to have 6pt before and after. However, during all this time, the Format|Paragraph dialogue shows the setting of "Auto" for Space Before and Space After.

So the question remains: where is this set? And what is it supposed to mean?

OTOH, the reason this was giving me trouble was because I use a couple of macros to increase/decrease space before/after a paragraph in 3pt intervals. This requires reading of the current spacing. Naturally, when it's set to Auto, the macro breaks. It shouldn't be too hard to fix, now that I know what's going on. But I'll probably just define a list style.

Thanks for the pointer,

Paulius