5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

VBA Open / Read (Word XP)

I want to assign the complete text of a text file to a variable. I know how to get an available file number and Open a file to write text. How would I go about getting all of the text in a TXT file and assigning it to strText, for example.

Thanks, Richard Barrett

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: VBA Open / Read (Word XP)

Read the file line by line, and concatenate the lines to the string variable.

Alternatively, use Scripting.FileSystemObject to open a text file in a TextStream object and use its ReadAll method. See ReadAll Method for the syntax and an example.

Thanks

If this operation will be conducted many times or your source file is very large, the FileSystemObject's TextStream.Read() method might be faster. This old article has the story: 4GuysFromRolla.com - Efficiently Reading Large Text Files. (The code samples there are VBScript, tested in an ASP page, but the method is the same.)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you. I didn't recall that the FileSystemObject head read / readall methods. I seem to recall using the FSO some time ago (to move and copy files), and on some users' PC it wouldn't run. If Admin had turned of Windows Search feature for some users, those users didn't have access to FSO. Do you have any similar experience with this?

Regards,
    Richard

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

As far as I know, Windows Search is not related to Scripting, but some system admins turn off scripting for security reasons. They might well turn off both together.