Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Internet connection (XP Sp2)

A friend is having trouble with his cable connection. The modem and router checkout OK, but he can't seem to connect. Cable company advises that it's something with his computer. They had him run IPConfig and the dialog box comes up, but after typing in the text and pressing Enter, nothing happens - just a blinking cursor. He restarted and thought two new emails came in, but he can't send. Any thoughts as to what the problem may be?

Thanks

Re: Internet connection (XP Sp2)

Hey Chuck, Have your friend connect his computer directly to the cable modem and see if he can connect. If he can then you know that there is something in the router that is not correct. Is a place to start!
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

He's already tried that, and it doesn't work. the cable company was able to ping the modem and from thier standpoint the connection looks good. I believe that's why they implied that the fault lies with the computer. I'll try to drop by and see if I can get any further information on the failed connection.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Have him disconnect the power from the cable modem for about 5 minutes. That will reset the cable modem.

Joe
    Joe