New Lounger
    Thanks

MailMerge (2003 SP2)

I am new to Mail Merge and am trying to do what I would assume may be relatively simple, but I am not finding it simple. I have a fillin field which which is to be answered at the beginning of the document. I also have some text at the end of the document which I want included depending on the answer to this fillin field. Is there a way to do this without having to place the fillin field in the document again which would result in the question appearing twice. I am attaching a sample of what I am doing. I have gone right through this lounge looking for an answer but cannot seem to find anything.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: MailMerge (2003 SP2)

Hi,

Try using an ASK field, instead of the FILLIN field. The difference is that ASK fields set bookmarks, which is what you really need here. See attached.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,

The FILLIN field does not store the information you entered to be used further down in the document. Instead you should use the ASK field which creates a bookmark with that stores the information entered in the prompt. You can then use that stored information using the REF field. REF can simply print the information or be combined with the IF field to include or exclude other text.

I've attached a quick modification to your document. Use ALT + F9 to see the fields. I have also used the CAP switch to ensure that the users input is consistent when being used by the IF field.

It would appear that your documents to be inserted will be large, so you might consider using the INCLUDETEXT field to "construct your document".

Personally I have moved away from this type of mail merging to using Bill Coans Simpleprompter add-in. Makes building documents a lot easier for the average user.

Feel free to ask more questions.

Regards,

Matthew

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Hi Matthew,

I see you took much the same approach as I did. I should have mentioned in my post that I changed the checkbox formfield to a rectangular symbol because formfields and mailmerges don't mix (ie you can't have a protected form in a mailmerge document). I don't know whether dubdub had this in mind, but I changed it just to be sure. The other thing I did was to add the o switch to the ASK field to make it prompt only once for each mailmerge sequence and to code the IF fields to copy with 'Y/y' or 'N/n' and 'Yes/yes' or 'No/no'.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you both so much - this worked exactly the way I wanted it to

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi macropod,

So the * in the IF statement acts as a wildcard? If so it makes covering variations in the user input a bit easier.

I've never used form fields so I'm out of my depth there.

The only thought I had on the /o switch is that if the user is constructing a trust deed, they would want to be prompted for each record as the answer could be different. But I would suspect that the merge is simply used for a single record at a time, so it probably doesn't matter.

Regards,

Matthew

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Hi Matthew,

Yes, the '*' and '?' both act as wildcards, for strings and characters, respectively.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]