Star Lounger
    Thanks

Normal.dot not being created (Word 2003 (11.8026.8

Word -- "Microsoft Office Word 2003 (11.8026.8036) SP2" to be specific -- has stopped creating Normal.dot in the expected default location, as described by Hans in recent posts. Because I had need to create a fresh Normal.dot, I deleted Normal.dot from Cocuments and Settings<username>Application DataMicrosoftTemplates and created a new document in which I created a new style that should have forced Word to build a new Normal.dot file.

Hidden files are, in fact, visible....and Normal.dot used to appear in this, the expected folder. Additionally, within Word's Tools > Options > File Locations tab, the User Templates folder is pointed to that same location.

Any clues to what I've inadvertently broken?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Normal.dot not being created (Word 2003 (11.8026.8

If you create a new style in a document, the style will be stored in the document and not in Normal.dot, unless you tick the "Add to template" check box in the "New style" (or "Modify style") dialog. So chances are you haven't done anything yet that causes Word to create Normal.dot. Try modifying one of the toolbars, or create a new AutoText entry. That should trigger creation of Normal.dot when you exit Word.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Normal.dot not being created (Word 2003 (11.80

Although I didn't mention it in my post, I did mark the "Add to template" checkbox. I've also just added several buttons to the formatting toolbar and resaved the document. Still no Normal.dot.....but I expect there's one being created "somewhere". Would researching the Registry help, and if so for which entry?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Normal.dot should be created in the User Templates location specified in the File Locations tab of Tools | Options... in Word.

This location cab also be found in the registry, in HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice11.0Common General, in the UserTemplates entry (11.0 is the internal version number of Office 2003).

Star Lounger
    Thanks

The registry reports "Templates" as the data for that entry, and the entry for "Shared Templates" (my Workgroup templates) shows the correct path.

Any other suggestions will be welcome. I feel it's time to turn around three times, click my heels, and hope to land back in Kansas.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

That wasn't such a bad idea. After rebooting, I find that Normal.dot now appears in the expected folder. There is a related problem, though.

Even after closing both the document and Word itself, the folder still contains the hidden, 1K, ~$Normal.dot file lock. Is this expected behavior? How long should that locking file persist? And could this be related to my recent attempt (brave....foolish...not sure) to use Word as my Outlook email editor. (Outlook is open, by the way.)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, if you use Word as e-mail editor in Outlook, Outlook will keep a hidden instance of Word open as long as it is active, hence the ~$Normal.dot file.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I believe, and could probably prove, that it was the existence of that ~$Normal.dot that prevents Word from creating a fresh Normal.dot when you expect one.

Thanks for taking the time to look at this. I'm surprised that this issue has not come up before.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It would probably have been created once you closed all instances of Word and of Outlook.