Star Lounger
    Thanks

Folder Properties error: Operation failed (2003)

I've been having a series of problems with my Archive folder since upgrading from OL 2000 to 2003. First, my archive operations would fail, complaining that the archive files was a non-Unicode file. I used Upstart (http://www.maclean.com/upstart/index.html) to convert both my main .PST and Archive to Unicode files. I'm not sure whether that's fixed the problem -- my Deleted items are being archived properly now, but not my Sent items.

However, I'm having another problem: when I click Properties/Advanced to try to compact the Archive folder, I get the error "Operation Failed. An object could not be found." I've searched microsoft.com and this forum for this error, but none of the situations described are the same. I was having the same problem with my main .PST file. Detect and Repair fixed that one, but not the Archive folder

I also noticed that in Tools/Options/Mail Setup/Data Files only my main PST file shows up, whereas the Archive folder used to be listed as well. I tried adding the Archive, but that causes Outlook to abort.

Any ideas? Can I just create a new archive and copy the old messages into it?

Robert

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

Re: Folder Properties error: Operation failed (2003)

Try running the PST repair tool SCANPST. For Office 2003 you should find it at Crogram filescommon filessystemmsmapi1033scanpst.exe. If it is not there just search for it.

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,

Scanpst didn't find any errors in the Archive. I also ran it on the main PST file, where it found and fixed errors. But I still can't open the Advanced Properties tab on my Archive.

Robert

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

You're probably better off establishing a new archive pst. Then if you can open your old archive pst from within Outlook you should be able to copy or move 'stuff' from the old to the new archive pst.

Joe
    Joe