2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Inserting hyperlinks (Word 2003)

When I go to insert a hyperlink in a Word file, I select the text in the file to be linked. then click on the hyperlink icon. A dialog box appears in which I can go to the file on my computer, or Internet location, to which I want to link. If I click on that, or type something into the field at the bottom, I have a link and then the dialog box closes. BUT I have three problems:

1) The dialog box doesn't remember the last place I went, every time I open it, it opens into the folder holding the file from which I am linking. This is a big pain if I want to create links to a number of files in another folder or on a Web site. Any way around this?

2) Worse, I tried to save time by typing Alt+F9 to view the fields in my document, including the hyperlink fields. I then would create a hyperlink field by typing one character into the the space at the bottom of the hyperlink dialog box. Then I would paste in and hand-type the path and filename I wanted into the hyperlink field displayed in the text of the document. Lo and behold: when I go to use that hyperlink, it still llinks into what I typed in originally, though if I use Alt+F9 to view the hyperlink fields in the text again, they show my final, edited version! Word is SHOWING me one thing but DOING another!!! Nasty. Any way around that?

3) I used the Word PDF maker to make a PDF from the file, and when I click on links in the file for which I have selected "New Window", (appearing as "/t_blank" in the hyperlinks in word, the link appears in the same window that the PDF was in rather than in a new window. Any way around that?

You may view my PDF with these issues at

http://www.john-s-allen.com/research...87/Berlin5.pdf

and the Word file at http://www.john-s-allen.com/research...87/Berlin5.doc

Note what happens when you click on Table 23 or higher in the Table of Tables. I don't know whether you can view the hyperlinks using Alt-F9 but give it a try.

Thanks.

Thanks

Re: Inserting hyperlinks (Word 2003)

#1 It's true, the dialog is half-baked. Unless you find an add-in or create your own macro, I'm not sure there is a good solution.

#2 If you press F9 after editing the field code, it should synchronize the link and the underlying URL. I know I was surprised the first few times that it didn't do this automatically, but using Shift+F9 to view the code to edit the address and F9 to update it, the workflow is not too bad.

#3 I don't use PDFMaker.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

For your first problem, in the "Insert Hyperlink" dialog box, choose "Recent Files" and the last file you linked to should be listed at the top. Once you've chosen a recent file, you can also click on the open folder icon to go to the folder that contains that file. (This is how it works for me using Word 2002.)

For your third problem, I couldn't find a hyperlink in the Word document that worked so was unable to check how the hyperlinks in the PDF file should work.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, OK, it's been a learning process. that will speed things up somewhat.

Another thing I discovered for myself is that if I select all, or a part of the document containing more than one field, all of the selected fields will be updated when I type F9.

I still regard it as rather bizarre to require updating fields. What is the reason for this? What You See is not What You Get. until you press the magic key combination.

And where is the information that updating is needed? I'd think that a warning message should appear when saving the file or attempting to use a hyperlink. Then if What You See isn't What You Get, at least you know how to get it!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Many fields do not update themselves automatically when they have been changed. In general, if you modifiy a field, you should select it and press F9 to update it.