New Lounger
    Thanks

Proper Settings IE7 (XP Pro 2006)

What are the best settings for IE 7 in Internet tools? I can't seem to find a happy configuration that doesn't ask me questions all the time, but load in a timely fashion? I am recovering from a bad security issue, and want my 2 month old laptop to perform at it's peak, but it still isn't "right". Any advice from well educated pros, as exhibited by the quality of the knowledge here, will be ardently applied. (I am not positive this is the issue, I'm just a guessin'.) Thanks in advance.... Maryanne,,,,aka ,,helpmeplease1

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Proper Settings IE7 (XP Pro 2006)

I mostly use the default settings, with one notable exception: I have turned on both options for 'Disable Script Debugging' in the Advanced tab of Tools | Internet Options, and turned off the option to 'Display a notification about every script error'. There is nothing you can do about script errors on websites you visit anyway, so I prefer not to see the error messages.

And I add websites I trust (such as Woody's Lounge) to the list of Trusted Sites in the Security tab.

Take a look at Anti Adware, Spyware, Hijack for some recommendations on free software that will keep nasties away from your PC. I particularly like SpywareBlaster - this will make it impossible for a lot of rubbish to install itself on your PC without incurring a large overhead. You only need to check for updates from time to time.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Hans!, Thank you for your response. Those notifications were the "questions " i was referring to, so I did as you suggested and now it is working MUCH faster. One more question if you don't mind..Regarding the javascript, I took the "test your security" test from a link on this site, and I have some issues there.What is the difference between script debugging and javascript? Are they 2 different programs? Am I asking this question in the right area? Do you need both? I actually followed Woody's book on a lot of my learning, but not much about that subject was covered. I humble myself to your advanced knowledge in these matters and truly need guidance. I actually had a guy come and look at my computer, told me to return it, virus corrupted, but I have been fixing it slowly on my own. I am a stubborn woman. Again, thank you for your help, and if you need to direct me around, feel free. Best site I've found for help in 2 months. Much obliged. maryanne..aka..helpmeplease1

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Many websites use JavaScript to make the content of web pagesmore dynamic. The page you're looking at now uses JavaScript, for example to show national holidays of various countries if appropriate, and to make a different version of Lex the Lounge Lizard pop up in the upper right corner depending on the time of day.
    There is no objection to JavaScript in itself, but programmers are human (well, almost, sort of), and they make mistakes. Script Debugging is intended to help those programmers iron out the kinks in their JavaScript code. But you and I have no use for debugging, since we cannot change the code anyway. So it's a good idea to leave JavaScript enabled, but to disable Script Debugging.