3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Style change (Word 2003 SP2)

I've encountered a problem since installing Office 2003 on my new Vista OS computer. Frankly, I think I have encountered this before and can't remember how to solve it. When I select a paragraph and change the alignment and/or the indentation of that paragraph, the entire document changes.

I looked in the Style Task Pane and selected Modify to see if the Automatic Update box was checked and it's not. Can anyone tell me how to avoid this, please?
    Barbara<div align='center'></div>

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Style change (Word 2003 SP2)

This *does* sound as if a style is set to "Automatically update". Are you sure you were looking at the correct style?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No, Hans. I'm not sure. The "style" window at the tope of the Style Task Pane showed Normal + indent +Italic or something similar. I didn't know for sure which style to look at. I did check Normal > Modify Style> and it did NOT have the Automatic Update box checked.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Two other things to try (separately, otherwise you won't be able to tell which one worked, if any):

- Select Tools | AutoCorrect Options..., activate the AutoFormat As You Type tab, and clear the check box labeled "Define styles based on your formatting".

- Select Tools | Options..., activate the Edit tab and clear the check box labeled "Keep track of formatting".

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, Hans. The Tools > Options > Edit Tab >"Keep track of formatting" unchecked seemed to do it.

I appreciate your help.