Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Bilingual spelling (Word 2000+)

Has anyone had any success with spell-checking a bi-lingual document?

Up here in the Frozen North I receive documents with phrases such as "Standards and Performance Measurement / Normes et mesure du rendement".
    I am currently set up to spell-check English.
    I figure I should somehow be saying "This document is 50% English and 50% French"?
    The Word2000 Help screens give instructions on how to set up my computer system for multiple languages, I guess I could do that.
    That would work if I wrote only in French.
    But before I change my system, has anyone successfully spell-checked a hybrid language document?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Bilingual spelling (Word 2000+)

The US / Canadian English version of Office comes with proofing tools for English, French and Spanish, so you should be able to work with bilingual documents. You can set the language for selected text using Tools | Language | Set Language. It's possible to define styles for different languages, so you could apply for example Normal (French) to a portion of text.

You can also set Word to detect language automatically, but as far as I know this only applies to text as you enter it, not to already existing text.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans. When I choose (Word 2000) Set Language I get a small list with a set of English, and a set of French dialects selected. I had expected that this would permit phrases such as "Standards and Performance Measurement / Normes et mesure du rendement" to pass the spelling check, but Word baulks on the french words, no matter how common.

I think that either I'm missing something simple in the set up, or else Word can work in only one language at a time.

However, the ability to select (tick ON) multiple languages in the Set language led me to believe that this setting would be available to the spell checker.

Perhaps the spell-checker does not have access to the "dictionaries" that would be called into play by Set Language.

<font color=448800>There is something very weird about using the Woody's Lounge spell-checker to spell-check a posting about spell-checking ...</font color=448800>
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (16.7 KB, 0 views)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The ticks in the Select Language dialog correspond to languages for which spell checking is available on your PC. The ticks do *not* mean that those languages have been set for the selected text.

Each bit of text in Word can have only one language assigned to it, but different parts of a sentence can each have a different language assigned.
    If you select text all of which has the same language assigned, that language will be highlighted in the Select Language dialog.
    If you select text in which different parts have been assigned different languages, no language will be highlighted in the dialog.

The idea is: select Standards and Performance Measurement and set the language to English, then select Normes et mesure du rendement and set the language to French. You can *not* tell Word "this text is a mixture of English and French, it's up to you to find out which is which." As noted earlier, you *can* instruct Word to detect the language automatically while entering text.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I'm going to have to check this more thoroughly.
    I read your post and thought Now here's a challenge!
    Then I thought to see if 2007 had anything to say. It does. I opened the same document in Word2007 and showed the same Set language but with the "detect language" checked ON.
    I can't figure out how to turn this ON in Word2000, but Word2007 trips over "Normes et mesure du rendement " just the same.
    The help files indicate that this is not a word-by-word trick.
    I have in mind some code that isolates ranges of text that fail spell check, and that applies a preferred alternate language to those ranges in an effort to reduce baulks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 2.JPG (20.5 KB, 0 views)