Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Combo box wizard (2003)

In Access 2000, the third option was offered on a form based on an SQL statement, but it didn't work: ACC2000: Combo Box Wizard Doesn't Work with Third Option When Form Is Based on SQL Statement. In earlier and later versions, the third option is not displayed if the record source is an SQL string (see ACC: Combo Box Wizard Does Not Display Third Option If a Form Is Based on a SQL Statement for Access 95 and 97).

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Combo box wizard (2003)

Often when I go to create a Combo Box that I want to use to find a record, I find that the wizard only offers me two options instead of three.

I have assumed that there was some context sensitivity involved, so that if the third option was not relevant to the current form, it did not offer it. (e.g. if the form is unbound it would not make sense).

I have just been testing this with a new form and I think I have found the answer to my own question.

If the recordsource of the form is an sql statement the wizard only offers two options, when it is a saved query or a table, if offers three.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards
    John

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Thanks

So the problem is only with the wizard. With a form based on an sql statement, you can still find records with a combo box, but you have to code it manually?

(I am trying to troubleshoot a combo box that is causing a db to crash.)
    Regards
    John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, you can create a working combo box to find records manually. If you wish, you can copy the code from that belonging to a combo box created by the wizard on another form. You only have to change the name of the field name and of the control.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I can't work out why this combo is crashing the db, but if I change the action of the combo from a Find to Filter, the problem goes away.
    I have two almost identical databases with the same problem. Using the combo to filter fixes both of them.
    Regards
    John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know if this problem is solvable, but I'd need to see (a stripped down copy of) one of the problem databases.