2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Copying attributes as well as contents (Excel 2000 SP3)

I am trying to set up a planning system in Excel, and need a bit of help. Also, if anyone thinks I am using the wrong application, please tell me that too!

My Personnel manager has an Excel spreadsheet which she uses to plot the movements of fieldworkers between different jobs.

She has personnel running down the left of her workbook, and calendar dates across the top. Different jobs are then marked by using blocks of different fill colours, with a particular colour indicating one job. She has annotated on top of these blocks with job name etc (the text being just entered in the first cell of a block of colour).

So far, so good!

As well as using this diagram for planning the movements of the workforce, various other staff need to use this "grid" to record retrospective information:-

One member of staff wants to plot the hours worked per day (by entering a number of hours on top of the block of colour).

Another needs to track the return of site paperwork, and she wants to annotate by putting a letter (Y for yes, or M for missing) on top of the block of colour.

As there is no layer functionality in Excel (as in Autocad, where you can plot different information on different layers, and have these turned off and on as required), I am trying to set up a system whereby the Personnel manager creates the basic grid, and this is then copied automatically into Worksheet 2, and Worksheet 3 for the other people to plot their information without it getting in the way of the other people's data.

So, is there a way to replicate (automatically) the content of Worksheet 1 into Worksheets 2 & 3, without having to copy all this information. I really want any updates or changes made to any cells in Sheet 1, to be reflected in Sheets 2 & 3, but so data can then be entered into Sheets 2 & 3 as required.

Hope this is clear enough!

Thanks

Neil

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Copying attributes as well as contents (Excel 2000 SP3)

I think this will be (too) complicated. You should either use a single sheet, and enter multiple entries in a cell, or use other software, IMHO. You can search for free or cheap personnel planning software (or ask about it in the Software Finds and Wants forum). Microsoft Project might be a good tool, but it's not cheap and it takes some getting used to.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I must admit, it sounds too complicated to me too, Hans!

But please can you explain what you mean by "use a single sheet, and enter multiple entries in a cell"?

Thanks

Neil

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you set cells to wrap text (in the Alignment tab of Format | Cells), the user can start a new line within a cell by pressing Alt+Enter. So one cell could contain several lines of information. This does not lend itself to filtering specific data, however.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks

How about this:
    1. Instead of entering the job name at the start of each block of colour, insert some rows at the top as a reference guide e.g. with the job descriptions and colour bars alongside as an 'index'
    2. Let the person enter the hours as before.
    3. For missing paperwork, have the person 'insert' a comment - then cell will show a red triangle in cell top-right corner - any hours entered won't be affected.

zeddy