New Lounger
    Thanks

Creating Invoice (Access 2003)

I

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Creating Invoice (Access 2003)

I would also use a separate field for this. It could be a date field specifying the end of the period, but it could also be a simple Yes/No field that would be set to Yes when the invoice is created.

I assume that you have some kind of invoice number that increments, for example an AutoNumber field. You can use a query or set of queries to determine the highest invoice number for a specific client whose service date is within the specified date range, and whose "Invoiced" field is filled in/set to Yes. This can be used to let the operator recall / edit / reissue this invoice.

3 Star Lounger
    Lewes, East Sussex, Sussex, United Kingdom
    Thanks

A couple of suggestions here :

1. Either add a status field to the invoice table, or add an invoice status history table which holds the invoice id, date of status & status

2. Add an invoice field to the service log table so that you can record which invoice the service was charged against. If the invoice field is not zero you cannot charge again

Nick

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I would add a field to each service record that eventually holds the invoiceID of the Invoice that the service gets included on. When you create invoices you only look for services where this field is null (0r 0 if it defaults to 0). It is easy to revisit and/or reprint and invoice because you can use a form/subform, report /subreport with master child fields.
    To delete an invoice set this field back to the default (null or 0) where it is a specific number, then delete the invocie as well. To restrict the deletion to just the last, you would need to use code I think.
    Regards
    John

Thanks

You've already received some great advice here, but I thought I'd add part of my "process" when invoicing. My order form has a combo box with the order "status"; because my processing is rather complex there are 17 distinct status's that an order can be placed in. There is also a command button on the order form that links (by invoice number) to a folder containing .pdf images of the invoice. Whether I use snail mail or e-mail to send the invoice, they are all "printed" to pdf.

I use update queries to move the order through the system. The queries select the orders based on their "status" so an invoice in "Billed" status cannot be selected by the query to process for invoicing. The end process moves the order from "Process" to "invoice" to "Billed". It blows the customer away when there's an inquiry and they can have a copy of the invoice in their inbox (from the command button) before we even get off the phone. I invoice every day, so I'm not really concerned with date parameters. However, it really doesn't matter when you use a status method - the only orders that get invoiced are the ones you indend to invoice. Han's suggestion that you use a simple Yes/No option is probably best if your process is fairly simple; for the more complex situation you may wish to use the combo box option.
    Bryan,
    Not the smartest critter on the glacier. . .
    . . .but I'm persistent (does that count?)