New Lounger
    Thanks

Keep losing internet connection (Windows XP SR-2)

My cable connection constantly fails. To restore it, I have to launch the command prompt and ipconfig release and renew. I may have to repeat that several times before the connection is restored. I spent a lot of time with the Cable tech and everything tested fine on their end. I've run every troubleshooter and diagnostic test. I've triple-checked the physical connections, internet protocols, TCP/IP settings, etc. In the last three hours, I had to release/renew 7 times - once while posting this message. <sigh> Meanwhile, I was pleased to see my wireless mouse still running flawlessly despite several high velocity drywall impacts.

I'd appreciate any recommendations for XP support/reference sites (besides this one, of course I

Thanks!

- kestrel

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Keep losing internet connection (Windows XP SR

Are you connecting through a router to the cable modem? If so, the router could be the problem. You should check the router settings to make sure there isn't something in the DHCP that you've missed.

If there is no router, just for curiosity, what to you see if you open a command prompt window and do IPCONFIG /ALL? Does it not show any of the correct IP addresses, i.e. gateway, DNS, etc.?

It sounds to me like your "cable guy" (pun intended!) needs to pay a visit to your home and check the modem. They can get flaky or go out with strange results. I've had similar cable connectivity problems lately although not as significant as yours and the cable folks were quickly willing to come to my home and check the modem.

New Lounger
    Thanks

No router. Cable runs from wall to modem to PC. IP and server addresses listed in ipconfig are valid, according to cable techs, but there is no connection. I'll take your advice and insist on a site visit. At worst, I can rule it out. Thanks for your help.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can you use a fixed IP address, which you set in your modem and PC. So just forget about DHCP altogether?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Have you tried a different network cable? Do you have access to a different NIC?

Joe
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Keep losing internet connection (Windows XP SR-2)

Do you have "Hibernation" or any other power savings that might be putting your machine to sleep and does not wake up the NIC?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.