New Lounger
    Thanks

Mail Merge with table row (2003 SP2)

I don't know if this is possible but I am have quite a lot of ask fields in a letter which will either delete a table row or leave it in. In order to insert the fields I have had to split the rows. The only problem is when the document is merged there is a paragraph marker between each row. I have to have shading on these so this is why it is done in this manner. I have tried hidden text on the paragraph marker but that does not work. Does anyone know how these questions should be set out in order for the paragraph markers to be deleted. I am attaching an example.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mail Merge with table row (2003 SP2)

In the attached version, I have used COMPARE to calculate a value that uniquely represents the conmbination of choices made in the ASK fields, and a lot of nested IF fields to return a different table for each value. With 3 Y/N choices, there are 2*2*2 = 8 possible combinations, if you have more ASK fields, this method quickly becomes unwieldy, and you'd have to work around the maximum of 20 nested IFs.
    Attached Files Attached Files

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks very much Hans. I will give that a go. It is certainly a lot cleaner than what I was trying.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi leecol,

With your original document, reducing the size of the pilcrows to 1pt would minimise the gaps between the tables. You could also apply some margin formatting and shading to those paras so that they blend better with the rows above & below. That would avoid the need for multiple versions which, as Hans has indicated, can quickly become unweildly.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Macropod, I did try that method - and then tried with hidden text - What seems to happen was the pilcrow was replaced with a new one when the merge ran. I changed the colour of the pilcrow to pink just to test this and it did replace it because there was no pink text in my finished doc. I really thought that would work but I will try the method of changing the margins.
    Thank you.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi leecol,

Formatting the pilcrow as hidden won't work (if it's minimised and hidden it comes back full size), but minimising its size and leaving it visible will work.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you - that worked.

Many thanks