Star Lounger
    Thanks

My first domain - configuration guide

I've got myself a domain and I'm getting it to do useful things other than mail forwarding. I'm a bit paranoid on security so I'm looking for best practice web/domain admin, but for dills.
    Can anybody suggest some sites that discuss what to do with a domain once it's yours?

I'd like to:
    * get a ssh shell working (I created some keys but got stuck about there, putty wouldn't connect); which keys should I delete off the site, should I change access rights to them?
    * properly secure parts of the site
    * understand why the existing .htaccess file on my site is so different to the plain old four line version.
    * make .htpassword files without using some utility on the web
    * ultimately, a SSL certificate (I only want the encryption, so will probably make my own CA)

Please just some pointers in the right direction. These queries are very basic and there must be sites that cover this stuff; I just haven't found them yet.
    The web hosting I'm using gives me cPanel, if that's important. I know this is a windows based forum, but I seem to have lost my google mojo.

Marty

Thanks

Re: My first domain - configuration guide

You should be able to find sites for Apache support, which is what you might need most at the outset.

Depending on what you plan to do with the site, you could consider using a well-established framework for security, folder permissions, etc. These include, for example, content management systems and wiki engines.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: My first domain - configuration guide

The "well established framework...etc" sounds a very good thing; sounds like good practice to me.
    My current project is to establish a secure web proxy, primarily for my own use. Since it's my own domain, it's hardly a anonymiser and that's not the point. But I will be accessing secure sites and I'd prefer to maintain that security. A wiki would come later. The challenge is my current knowledge level.

I don't believe that content management is important, partly because I'm used to structured modification and rollback but mostly because I have so little of it. It's the basic domain admin stuff that I'm looking for - the foundations of how domain security is understood and implemented.