2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Export to Excel (2000-SR1)

I need to generate a report that will need to be in a regular report format, but also to export it to an Excel spreadsheet that will be emailed to a vendor to place an order.
    The report from [tblOrderDetails] needs to have a left-hand column showing the name of the item ordered, the next column needs to show the ItemQty (but these are made up of up to three ItemID that are of a similar type; Item ID = 2, 11 or 20, e.g.) Another column would be the price charged per item, the last column would be the total for that item (or set of items, in this case). Row 2 then would have the next item (or set of items) ordered.
    Does all this need to be done first in a query or all on the report, or what? Then how to make it into a spreadsheet?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Export to Excel (2000-SR1)

It's probably best to create a query that returns the data you need for the report, and to export the query to Excel instead of the report.
    It's not clear to me what you want the second column to show: the individual quantities or the total quantity.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I attached a sample as spreadsheet to help me sort this out. What I have in mind with the second column would be the total number of items matching the ItemID (say, 2 of Item 2, 3 of Item 11 and 5 of Item 20, making the total of 10). Sorry to be so dense, but I'm not visualizing how to set this up right.
    Warren
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

How do you specify that (for example) ItemIDs 2, 11 and 20 belong together?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The only way I have thus far is by specifying these together in the criteria field in a query. Up till now, I didn't need to include more than one of these groupings in a report, so I have individual queries for each of these groupings. I take it that there would be a better way, like assigning each item a group ID in the tblItems, then running the query based on a GroupID, rather than multiple criteria, or something like that?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I agree with Hans. The best way is to use a separate query for the Export.

What I do is make the query behind the report into a stand-alone query. So if my report is something like "rptProductList", my query would be "qryrptProductList". I then have a "qryExportToExcel", and I on-the-fly change the SQL prior to export. Something like this:

Currentdb.tabledefs("qryExportToExcel").SQL = "SELECT ProductID, ProductDescription, QtyOnHand FROM qryrptProductList"

I can add GROUP BY and ORDER BY clauses as needed. Then export qryExportToExcel using Docmd.TransferSpreadsheet method.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I'd use a GroupID field. That way, you can use a straightforward Totals query that groups on GroupID.