Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Upgrade (Vista Office)

I am trying to upgrade an XP Pro installation to Vista Office (Toshiba Satellite A110 with 1.4 GB and XP Pro). The drive is a single partition and all of the applications are compatible with Vista, with the exception of some that have 'minor issues' and one driver that must be upgraded after installation.

The Upgrade Advisor says that it's fine to proceed, but it seems not to be so. The first problem was that I had left a temporary directory (which I successfully removed by logging on as Administrator, deleting, and starting over), and the second and third are an error message that the computer's boot configuration is not suitable (or something) with no further details given.

These installation attempts take hours. In the preparation and installation attempts Microsoft has scooped up my activation key three separate times with no installation to show for it, and has reviewed my validation at least twice. I can't afford the time it would take for a clean install (or much more time for this enterprise), and even that would have to be an upgrade from the computer's own initial state (minus the stuff that has to be removed and later replaced), because I want the manufacturer's bundled software. Suggestions are welcome.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Upgrade (Vista Office)

I'm no expert on these type of things, but I do have a little experience in installing Vista, both with Clean install and upgrading over XP. What I have found is that an "in place upgrade" will most always fail IF you have installed on XP: Antivirus, Antispyware which has real-time defense, a 3rd-party Disk Defragger, or any other program that runs on startup and either writes to disc or monitors any changes to the disc, e.g., True Image or Ghost. What apparently happens is that when Vista does one of its several automatic reboots, one or more of these type of programs interfere with the installation process since they have some degree of priority/control of disc changes, etc. Thus, again in my experience, uninstalling these types of programs before doing the upgrade prevents installation failure due to the problems they cause. And yes, I am well aware that this is not mentioned in the installation instructions nor do these programs get listed as being possible problems in the pre-install Upgrade Advisor.

Have you tried to search on Google for that specific error message?

Jeff
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Upgrade (Vista Office)

I have it installed, and your suggestions were crucial.

The answer in the case of my specific error message is in Microsoft KB article 931697, which I recognized at once since I