3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mysterious Behaviour of Word! (2000 SR 1a)

Attached is a Word file which demonstrates behaviour I have seen never seen before. I am unable to emulate this behaviour. And you might not believe it if you hadn't seen it. But I hope at least one of you has come across this before, and knows why and how it happens.

There is one picture placed in a text box with some text, on Page 2 of the document. A copy of this has been created on Page 1 where the chapter title should have been, and I cannot change or edit the box on Page 1. However, whatever I do on page 2 is automatically reflected in the box on Page 1, including deletion, but excluding sizing. I cannot position the cursor in the box on Page 1 at all. Format Object|Layout options are all grayed out, and hence I cannot access the "Advanced" button on that tab.

The best way is to view it in 2-Pages view and try editing the box on Page 2.

Possibilities I have eliminated are:

It is not a Ref field of some kind.
    There are no bookmarks in the file.
    There are no macros (and hence no viruses) in the file.
    There are no links of any kind.
    The box is not anchored to the last paragraph in the file.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mysterious Behaviour of Word! (2000 SR 1a)

The object on page one is on the drawing layer. Select drawing tools and then click on the arrow in the tool bar. Using that you should be able to work with the object.
    Legare Coleman

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi there - looks like it's in the header? When I clicked to get the selector boxes on page one it also deletes the one on page two.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Okay. Yes this document has problems. First, there is text in a frame inside a text box with a picture inside the text box also, the text box is linked to a paragraph in your header. I would abandon this confusing mess rather than trying to fix it, and copy the elements you want to retain into a correctly formatted document.

Remove the components (the picture and the text) that you want on your first page and paste these into another document for the moment, then delete all the textboxes and frames from your original document, then paste the items into your header or your text where you want them to appear. If you put them into a text box, don't link them, as was done here (probably inadvertently) to your header.

Why this behavior is occurring, I can't say. But I will say that the formatting of this document is unnecessarily complicated and will sooner or later lead to corruption. Better to do it over, using a simpler model.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That is what I have done. I was however curious to know why it happened, to avoid such a mess in future as well as to see if the solution had a nugget of understanding which could solve any other problem.

It does not look like there is any connection with the header, because the repeating box appears only on the first and one other page of the document and on none others. Try pasting a few more paragraphs in the middle of the same file.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Legare, for your tip. Apologies for the delayed reply.

The tip allowed me to wriggle out of a tight spot. But I still do not know how the two text boxes seem linked like cells in Excel: any change in one also changes the other, without using fields, and it does not seem to be attached to a header, because I can intersperse pages without such a box.