3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Document based on old template (2002)

We merged with another company. Their documents were based off their templates on their server. The server and the templates are no longer available. Now we are having issues trying to open the Word documents based on those old templates.

I've discovered that I can open the files in Word 2007 because there is a message at the bottom of the screen that says to press ESC to not find the template. It even gives me the path to the template, which is how I know what the problem is in Word 2002.

Is there anyway when opening in Word 2002 that I can bypass the look for the template? Because it can't find the template Word hangs.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Document based on old template (2002)

Is this a time to open issue or does the document not open at all? I have not seen documents refuse to open because of a missing template but I have certainly seen slow to open files.

Does this thread help isolate the problem? <A target="_blank" HREF="http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=wrd&Number=453460&page=&vie w=&sb=&o=&vc=1">Workgroup Templates(Word 2002)
    </A>
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Document based on old template (2002)

The user thought that his system was hanging and in need of a reboot, but if you wait long enough the file does open. We could then remove the reference to the Document Template and resave the file. This seems to be fixing our issues.

Thanks for the other thread of information. I might make use of that.