5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Table rows split across page (Word XP)

I have several documents which consist of one 3-column table which covers four or five pages. These are old documents which were poorly formatted... lots of empty paragraph marks, and almost always an empty paragraph at the bottom of each cell, before the cell marker.

I have re-styled/re-formatted the document to remove empty paragraphs, using Space After in the paragraph style to achieve the same result. After doing this, automatic page breaks are appearing in unusual places. There is a pattern: it's usually the row that follows a row which split across pages. Say row 14 split across pages 2 and 3. Row 15 now pushes to page 5, even though 80% of page 3 is empty, and row 15 is only three lines of text (less than 1 inch.)

I've tried deleting the row, adding a row in its place, and then re-typing the contents. Sometimes that helps. I've also had luck splitting the table here and there, and then removing the paragraph that separates the several tables. That helps a bit, but not on every occasion.

The documents were probably created in Word 97; compatibility is currently set to Word XP. I've tried copying the table and pasting it into a new document. That generally makes things worse! The number of auto page breaks generally increases after this exercise.

Any ideas short of re-creating each document?

Thanks,
    Richard Barrett

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Table rows split across page (Word XP)

Check the settings in the Line and Page Breaks tab of Format | Paragraph..

If you wish, you can post a sanitized copy of your document (replace the text with dummy text).

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Table rows split across page (Word XP)

At every row of the table, I split the table. I saved and closed the document. I re-opened the document and deleted the superfluous paragraphs between the separate tables. Now it's fine. I think these are very old and abused documents.

Thanks, as always, for your help.
    Richard