3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Personal Folders multiplying (Office 2003 SP2)

I am transferring my files to a new computer with Vista. When I imported my .pst file into Outlook, it also created a Personal Folders file. This, of course, creates another Calendar, another Tasks, etc. I tried to delete the newly created Personal Folders and received this message: The operation failed. An object could not be found.

I have made sure that mail goes into my imported account, so that isn't the problem. I opened Outlook again and now...there are TWO Personal Folders plus my imported .pst file. Thankfully, I named my imported file differently so I can distinguish between them. If this continues, I'll have a new Personal Folders file every time I open up. And each of them gives me the same message when I try to delete or even to close it.

Any suggestions???
    Barbara<div align='center'></div>

Thanks

Re: Personal Folders multiplying (Office 2003 SP2)

Here are some recent threads on this problem. Do any of the suggestions help?

Phantom PST file (2003 SP2)
    Outlook Personal Folders problem (Outlook 2003)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Reading through those two posts described my situation to a "tee". It is encouraging to know that others have faced my same situation. I don't feel up to tackling this tonight, but I'll try to follow the directions tomorrow.

thanks so much for replying. I did a Search trying to find similar situations, but I guess I didn't use the correct wording. Glad you found it for me.
    thanks again.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

dOne more problem I need some help with, please. When I bought a new computer using Vista OS, I created a User Account and made some bad decisions on the location I wanted to store my files and the location of my backup files. Rather than trying to change everything, I created a new User Account and copied all my files to the new User Account.

Then, I deleted the original User Account and deleted the entire file located in Users.

Now, I'm trying to install the Outlook Backup.exe file and I can't do it. When I start the installation, a window tells me that the file is installed elsewhere on my computer and I need to remove it using Add/Remove Programs. Checking Add/Remove Programs, there is NO backup program installed. And I receive a second Window saying that I'm trying to remove a program that is NOT installed.

I'm caught in a vicious circle and I don't know how to solve it. I've searched my entire computer to locate the program and haven't found it. I feel insecure without the ability to backup my Outlook since it contains my entire life.

Any suggestions how I can work around this?

Thanks

I'm not familiar with Vista at all. Can you find any folders in c:Program Files relating to the add-in?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I hadn't thought of looking through Program Files. I have an attachment showing several files in Microsoft that begin with OUT***. It could be one of these; I don't know which one.

I'm not able to send you the screen shot. The files I found are: outbak.dll, outex.ecf; outex2.ecf; outlvba.dll
    They are listed under Microsoft > ADDINs.

Thanks

It has to be outbak.dll. Before trying to remove it, try adding a reference to it in your installation of Outlook.

Open the COM Add-ins dialog, which is buried here: Tools>Options..., Other tab, Advanced Options... button, COM Add-ins button.

If you see it on the list and it's not checked, check it. It then should appear on the File menu. (If it works the same as I remember from 3+ years ago.)

If it's not on the list, use the Add button to "load" it. Any luck?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You have helped me so many times before.
    This time...you get a GOLD STAR!.
    It absolutely worked. The Backup did not appear in the COM ADDin folder, but I added it and it immediately wanted to backup my files.
    With the help of my friends from Woody's Lounge, some major problems with my new computer have been solved today.
    Thank you, thank you!!!