New Lounger
    Thanks

What is this in my spreadsheet? (Excel 2003)

One of the users I support had a Excel workbook that grew in file size by leaps and bounds. I came across a post that said to press f5, then Special, then select objects. After a few moments, the mostly blank page I was on showed lots of little circles connected by lines. I was able to right-click on one of them and select Cut, then save the file. Doing that on just that worksheet cut over 2 MB from the file size. My question is, what are these things and where do the come from? The user didn't have a clue about them, he copies and pastes into the sheet from other sheets, but that is all. I have attached a gif of what it looked like before I cut them.

Thanks for a explanation,

Michael
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: What is this in my spreadsheet? (Excel 2003)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

The sheet apparently contains an enormous amount of drawing objects, but it is impossible to determine what they are and how they got there. One possible origin is the Internet - if the user selected data on a web page and copied/pasted them into Excel, graphical elements from the web page may have come with the data. If you repeat this often enough, you'd end up with a large number of them.

I'd use F5, Special..., Objects on all sheets the user copies from to see if they contain drawing objects too.

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: What is this in my spreadsheet? (Excel 2003)

You could possibly select just one and attempt to increase the size by dragging one of the white handles...this might give you a clue as to their origin.

Eric