Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Move external hard drive (Vista)

I bought a new HP computer that runs Vista to replace an older XP machine. My old system has a Seagate external hard drive that connects via USB. I use that drive for backups, among other things, and it passed Microsoft's Vista compatibility test. In my ideal world, I would shut down my XP machine, disconnect it from everything, and plug the external hard drive into the new Vista machine. Does that ideal world exist, or must I backup all the stuff that's on the external drive and reformat it before I install it on the Vista machine?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Move external hard drive (Vista)

USB devices are "hot swappable". Thus, you would power off the external enclosure (assuming it has a power switch), plug in the USB cable somewhere on your new Vista machine and simply switch the power on. That's it..... done!

Jeff
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

This isn't meant to contradict Jeff, but I've never really been absolutely sure about these hot swappable USB drives - I also have two attached. So, just for the "belt and suspenders" safety of it, when I'm about to unhook one from a machine, I go to the "Safely Remove" icon which I keep in the system tray. Probably isn't necessary, but it makes me feel a bit better.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Boy, that's good to hear! My chief worry was that the switch from XP to Vista might introduce a new dimension.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Good advice! I've made it a habit to use that icon for my thumb drives, too. Thanks for the response!