5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Conditional formatting (2003)

Very simplified question but will provide the answer I need. (I hope)

I have a SS in which the cells of several columns (B through D) are conditionally formatted to have a certain color (same color for each of them) based on complex formulas.

I would like to conditionally format the cells in column A such that if any of the cells on a particular row display the conditionally formatted color, then the corresponding cell in column A will also display that color.

I can construct a formula that covers all the conditions but it is very long and cumbersome. I was hoping there might be a way to create an OR formula for the cell colors of the conditionally formatted cells. For example the conditional format formula for cell A5 would be =OR(B5=COLOR,C5=COLOR,D5=COLOR)

Problem is, I don't know how to find the color of the cell. I am using one of the standard colors in the pattern palette.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Re: Conditional formatting (2003)

You can't do that - even if you use VBA to get the cells interior.color, it will not reflect the conditional formatting colour. You are stuck with either using the complex formula or, if only one of them will match at a time, just apply the conditional formats to the entire range.
    You can write code to loop through the format conditions for each cell, constructing the formulas and then comparing them to see if they apply, but it's flaky!
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Thanks

Chip Pearson has some of the "Flaky" functions (that were alluded to) to determine the Conditional Formatting Colors

Steve

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I was afraid that might be the case. Thanks for the input.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Chip has sure got some cool code but i think I will take another direction on this... more coding effort than this project is worth. Thanks for the pointer to Chip's site.