3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Excel weirdness (2003 SP2)

I have my options set to create three sheets in a new workbook. When I click on File|New, the 'New workbook' task pane opens and when I click on 'Blank workbook' a new workbook is opened with three worksheets. But when I click on the 'New' icon on the toolbar, the new workbook opens with only one sheet. The 'New' icon is the one without the ellipsis. If I put the icon with the ellipsis on the toolbar, it works just the same as File|New. I would like to open a new workbook with three worksheets and not have to do it via the menu or task pane. Is there a way to do this? If something is broken, any ideas for the fix?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Excel weirdness (2003 SP2)

The standard New button on the toolbar should create a workbook with 3 sheets (or whatever you specified in Tools | Options) too. You might take a look at Jan Karel Pieterse's <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in XL,290455>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in XL<!/post>.

Thanks

Hi Andrew,
    If you have a book.xlt template stored in the XLSTART directory, pressing the New icon will give you a new workbook based on that and you will get as many sheets as that template has.
    HTH
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Rory,

That was it! Thanks. There's also a file called Sheet.xlt in the XLSTART directory. What's the purpose of these files? I guess I created them at some point, but I can't think why.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Book.xlt is the default template for a blank new workbook (it more or less plays the role of Normal.dot in Word, although the analogy doesn't hold up completely), and Sheet.xlt is the default template for a new worksheet in a workbook.

Thanks

Further to what Hans said, I have a book.xlt just so that I get my preferred styles and page setup - headers etc - in each new workbook.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How does book.xlt interact with 'Options' settings? It appears that where the two conflict book.xlt rules. So what's the point of the options?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Most users don't have a Book.xlt. For them, the settings in Tools | Options... apply.