5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win.ini Fonts Substitutes

How exactly are the Font Substitutes applied by Windows? I had been having some printing problems with Internet Explorer and Outlook, where form fields and graphic box names were being printed in an unwanted condensed, bold font. I checked my font lists, found the offender, and removed it. Now what I presume is some sort of Windows default font is an Arial-appearing font. I found the Font Substitutes section in the Win.ini file, but I really don't know how the substitutions work. I would like to be able to set the default font instead of using guesswork or removing too many more fonts from my system. (Actually, I'd prefer to add them back, but I don't want to get the defaults & substitutions messed up again.)

Here is the section from my Win.ini file:

<pre>[FontSubstitutes]
    Helv=MS Sans Serif
    Tms Rmn=Times New Roman
    Times=Times New Roman
    Helvetica=MS Sans Serif
    MS Shell Dlg=MS Sans Serif
    MS Shell Dlg 2=MS Sans Serif
    Monotype.com=Andale Mono
    </pre>

ileacy

Re: Win.ini Fonts Substitutes

"Font Substitutes" in WIN.INI identifies "near substitutes" for fonts you don't have.

The syntax is: [missing font] = [near substitute].

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. That answers one question, but still begs the answer to this -- Is there a setting for a "default" font, as opposed to a set list of font substitutions? If Windows is trying to use a font that is not on my system, but there is no listing for a substitute font, what font will it use?

ileacy

As far as I know, there is no default Windows Font. There are however default fonts set in various applications, eg <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q175/6/84.ASP>Excel</A>.