3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mac/PC/Printer Setup

I have a home network that until recently was composed of one Linksys cable modem, one NetGear wireless router, 3 desktop PC's running XP Home (two connect to the router wirelessly, one is hard connected via ethernet cable), and one printer. The printer is connected to the PC that is hard-connected to the router. For the most part, this has worked well. The two PC's that are connected wirelessly can print on the printer slaved to the third PC.

Now, I have added a Mac laptop to the mix, also connected wirelessly. So far, I have been unsuccessful at getting the Mac to see the printer. It sees the PC that the printer is connected to, but not the printer itself. Any suggestions?

Douglas

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mac/PC/Printer Setup

Hi Douglas,

I only quickly did a Google search, and the top response was this one. I hope it has something useful in it!

Please note, I've not used a MAC before, and haven't shared a printer on any Windows box for anything other than a Windows box.
    Christopher Baldrey

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mac/PC/Printer Setup

Thanks Chris. The link you provided did the trick. I had gone over that ground once before, but did not do the Login ID/Password routine. That proved to be the break through. The Mac could then see the printer.

I had a bit of a problem assigning the make and model as the list did not include my particular printer (HP Officejet 6100), but in the end I assigned a different HP inkjet model to it and it seemed to print just fine.

Once again, thanks to the Lounge for all of your wonderful support.

Douglas