2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Formula Troubles (Excel 2003/SP2)

Sorry to fast readers! I lost the attachment when I spell-checked.

Okay, I'm hoping it is just because it is so late in the day that these related formulas are eluding me. I had the first one working (yellow in the attached sheet), but only for the first total and not the others. And I couldn't get any of the rest. I found it difficult to explain in writing, so you'll need to look at the attached sheet, where I have entered the formulas by manually selecting the cells to be included in the totals and indicated via text what I need the formulas to do automatically.

I had something like this:

{SUM(IF(LEFT(R2C1:$R24C1)=RC1&"-",Requested,0),0)}

for the first formula, but it results in a circular reference. It seems to get the right total, but only the first time I try to use it.

The most important formula I need is the one in blue. If we have to do the others manually, the user can live with that. It is the third one that is a pain, because it changes the most frequently. Many thanks!

--Karyl
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Formula Troubles (Excel 2003/SP2)

Take the "subtotals" out of the table, that avoids the circular references. See attached version.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The circular ref is in C2. You use the range name 'requested' in your formula and 'requested' includes C2.

Here is my initial thought. Simplify it just a little bit. For the formulas in C & D, just use a sum formula for each of the codes (600, 650, etc). As you insert rows for additional requests or spending, the fomulas will expand themselves. Then an array formula in E gets the right result.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know why it always seems so easy after I see how you do it, yet it always seems so difficult when I try to do it myself! Thanks so much for the options! My user is up and running and very happy with the resulting simplicity vs. her manual method of the past.

--Karyl