Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: .swf file doesn't load (IE 7)

Leesha are you loading the swf file using this code we created in <post:=612,765>post 612,765</post:>?
    Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Jerry,

Unfortunately, althought that code worked beautifully in preview, I couldn't use on the web service I use (1and1) because they do not have windows media player on their site. I really want the video to play on the site, not open up media player on the user's computer. They recommended using a swf file and then embedding it that way by linking/streaming to the macromedia player. After a ton of research, trying various code, I got it to work in preview mode, and it looks very similar to the way you had me set up the media player. Now I'm stuck again. I've been searching online and there seems to be something related to Microsoft and needing additional Java scipt (I'm lucky I've gotten this far!) and so I decided to return to my trusted forum and see is anyone can help. I'm learning an incredible amount but really need to get this site up and running.
    Thanks!
    Leesha

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

.swf file doesn't load (IE 7)

Hi, I've got a web page created in Frontpage. It has a swf file that is embedded in one of the pages. There are two issues. First, although I coded the play parameter to "false", in preview mode the swf file automatically loads. The second and biggest problem is that in preview mode the page loads fine and the swf video plays. BUT when I publish the web, it doesn't load, I'm not prompted for the active X control like I am in preview. The spot on the page where the video is is blank until I hover over it and then I get a message to click to activate the control. No matter how many times I click, nothing happens. I've worked on this for so long I'm blind.

If It's any help, the website is www.crossroadsphysicaltherapy.org and the page I"m having problems with is the Camp Care page.

Thanks,
    Leesha

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Ok

New area for me but does this help:

fscommand() function

We can work through this together but I am at work at the moment with a deadline (eating my sandwiches as we speak) so will do my best in between things
    Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Jerry! I'll take a look at this. I'm at work too and this isn't my "job" related stuff. It's my volunteer end! Please do not jepardize your deadline. I feel tons better that you're confident we'll get there. The day is young! If I can go to bed tonight with this site behind me I'll be thrilled.

Thanks,
    Leesha

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Great, I'll let the others chip in as and when but maybe we can concentrate on this later, your afternoon will be my evening
    Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

(Edited by Leif to make link live - see the quick guide and/or <!help=19>Help 19<!/help> - it's really not that difficult and is very helpful to others.)

Hi Jerry,

Just an update for later for you. I tried making some changes to the code (didn't actually rebuild the swf file as I was lucky to get this one done LOL and the macromedia trial is on my home PC). Unfortunately none of the code changes worked, although the page and loading of the file continued to work in perview mode. I found this link and thought it might be helpful. Of course don't know where to begin to incorporate it into my page. What is an "external .js file"? Anyway, it seems like a lead and I'm hoping that with your help we can find fix.

http://www.frontpagetalk.com/forums/click_.../smode_1/tm.htm

Leesha

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Leesha

Back home now so can look at this. First questions first.

1) What is an "external .js file"?

The js file extension basically means this is a file that contains javascript. The javascript can be stored in two ways, in the actual HTML document within <script> tags which in turn are mostly kept in the <head> tags or you can create a link to a file with a js extension to store the javascript. Coders normally do this when there is a lot of code and/or it can be re-used by other pages. It is a space saving, keep your folder tidy. If you talk to any programmer/mark up coder/configurer in the IT business there is a dislike for repetition or redundancy and the js file is an answer to the "R" problem.

2) Attached is a compressed file called leesha.zip. It is very similar to the first code we created for the wmv/mpg file but we are using the swf type now that is used by Macromedia/Adode Flash. Due to this requirement we have to tell it to use the flash player. If the person does ot have it installed it will go to Macromedia and get the player to allow the movie to be shown.

My example uses a absolute reference to a movie I found on the web as it would have been to large to attach to the Lounge. I promise you is is of a reputable nature and OK at time of posting but use this as an example for now.

This, I hope will get you started and I await any questions
    Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Jerry, I'm finally home from work. First I loved the video clip. Cracked me up after a very long day. Unfortunately it didn't work. This is what i edited it to and if you go to my web and click on the camp care button you'll see nothing happens. http://crossroadsphysicaltherapy.org/

Leesha

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"
    codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0"
    width="500" height="500"
    id="mymoviename">
    <param name="movie"
    value="http://crossroadsphysicaltherapy.org/campcarecommercial.swf" />
    <param name="quality" value="high" />
    <param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff" />
    <embed src="http://crossroadsphysicaltherapy.org/campcarecommercial.swf" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff"
    width="500" height="500"
    name="mymoviename" align="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
    pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer">
    </embed></object>

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

What version of flash are you using?
    Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Version 9. I made sure I had the most recent on the computer. Did that link I sent you to others having this problem have any clues?
    Thank you sooooooooooo much!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Please see Leif's comment in <post:=636,761>post 636,761</post:> higher up in this thread. Thank you.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I am playing with the versions but even if I do a direct download to the swf file it will not open in my browser. Questions

1) Have you got a local copy and if so can you open in a browser?
    2) What is its file size?
    3) Have you got the swf file in the root folder or is it part of a subfolder?

I have tried all versions of flash player and I cannot open it. My example proves the code works so it must be an issue with the swf
    Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans!!

Thanks for pointing me back to the edit by Leif. I hadn't seen it. I can use all the help I can get!

Leesha

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Well, you could practice by making the URL in <post:=636,909>post 636,909</post:> into a clickable link...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast