Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cell Formatting (2003)

A user has a simple 3 column spreadsheet, columns A, B and C. Column B is formatted for text. However, on certain cells, the line spacing appears as double space for no apparent reason. I've attached a screen shot. I've checked all the usual suspects (cell formattingalignmentjustifications, etc) and cannot determine why only certain cells appear to be double space. Anyone have a clue?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Cell Formatting (2003)

Are you sure that vertical alignment hasn't been set to Justify or Distributed?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cell alignment is Justify in all cells. The cell above the problem cell in my attachment is set for justify also. If I change the alignment in the problem cell, say to Top, then I have extra space at the bottom of the cell. It's acting very strange. Here's another screen shot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

There is more text in the top cell of the screenshot, so it takes up 5 lines, whereas the text in the bottom cell takes up 4 lines. Unfortunately, Excel is not very good at handling wrapped text, it frequently miscalculates the row height, even if you select AutoFit. You'll have to resort to adjusting row heights manually in many cases.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

If it's just a matter of readjusting the row height, then I can live with that. Too bad we're 7,000 miles apart - I owe you a few beers! Thanks Hans

Thanks

Be careful if you go to print it and adjust the row ht. Some of the time, the "miscalculation" is on the screen display, but it is calcuated correctly for the printout. The printout may require the extra width as it may be wrapped differently due to different resolutions from display to printout.

What you see is not always what you get.... [Check the print Preview in some of these cases to see the printer driver is "setting" some of the row ht...]

Steve

Star Lounger
    Thanks

That's interesting - I'll check it now. Thanks.