2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Removing References (Access 2K)

Hi.

I have a split database and one of my users reports a "Function is not available in expression in table level validation expression" error. Some research on this site led me to believe that he has missing references - which he does. Two of them: "IStudio Active Designer Controls" and "Controls 1.0 Type Library".

I recently sent around a new version of the front-end (I also made some changes to the back-end) and that is when he started having the problems. What I want to know is:
    1) Why did these two references suddenly appear in the list of references (one of the references is "Controls 1.0 Type Library" - from Nero, which I have but he doesn't!)
    2) Can I remove these references from the list without destroying something (I don't even know what they are doing there)
    3) How can I make sure that these references don't reappear (or other ones appear instead) in future versions of the front-end?

I have already tried ALT-F11 > Tools > References > Unchecking the two references > Save, but he still gets the same error message.

If you can answer any/all of these questions I would be most appreciative.

Thanks,

JoeK

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Removing References (Access 2K)

1) About references.

If you have a certain library installed on your PC, and accidentally set a reference to it in your database, then distribute the database to someone else who doesn't have that library, the reference will still be there, but it will show as MISSING.
    How do those references get there? For example by experimenting with a non-standard control on a form or report. Even if you remove the control, the reference will remain until you clear it explicitly.
    So you should always remove all unnecessary references before distributing your database to others. After clearing references, select Debug | Compile <projectname> to see if your code is still valid.

2) About the error message.

I've never seen "Function is not available in expression in table level validation expression" in relation to missing references. When I encountered it, it meant exactly what it says - that there is an invalid Validation Rule for one of the tables. So I'd check each table to see if there is a Validation Rule in the properties of the table as a whole.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. I'll take a look.

JoeK

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

I took a look at my tables and none of them have validation rules - either in the property of the tables or in any fields of the tables. Am I looking in the wrong place, or what could it be?

Thanks,

JoeK

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Something else to check is whether you have a field or control that has a name that is also the name of a built-in function, such as Date or Left. This might confuse Access/VBA. If so, try renaming the field or control.