Thanks

Uninstall without the CD? (97 Pro)

I was recently upgrading a PC at work from Office 97 Pro to Office 2003 Pro. I thought that I would uninstall 97 first, but it demanded the installation CD. I had *an* installation CD for Office 97 Pro, but it evidently wasn't the right one, as it didn't accept it. Of course, I was able to install 2003 anyway, and I accepted its option of removing previous versions for me, but can you really not remove Office 97 unless you have the CD?

Ian

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Uninstall without the CD? (97 Pro)

You encounter a known bug in ANY Microsoft Office installation: if you installed it from CD, and then applied an update, Office Setup won't recognize the CD anymore.

The workaround is: copy the entire CD to a separate folder on your hard drive and point Office Setup to this folder.

However, you can completely uninstall Office 97 (as well as other versions) without CD also. Download and use
    Microsoft Office Removal Wizard (for Microsoft Office 4.x, Office 95, Office 97, and Office 2000); and then download and use
    Utility to completely remove remaining Office 97 files and registry entries.

Instead you also can manually delete all Office-related folders and files, and then delete all Office-related Registry keys. For more information, see
    MSKB 158658: How to Completely Remove Microsoft Office 97

Thanks

Re: Uninstall without the CD? (97 Pro)

That's a pretty comprehensive answer. Thanks.

Ian