New Lounger
    Thanks

Bad SP2 for XP download (XP)

Post deleted by bheld

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Bad SP2 for XP download (XP)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

The subject of your post mentions XP (= 2002), the post itself 2003. Which version do you have?

New Lounger
    Thanks

I am running Windows XP/Home and downloaded Service Pack 2. (SP2 = Service Pack 2) I am running Excel 2003/Word 2003. After I downloaded SP2, I could no longer run Excel 2003 or Word 2003. The error message says there is a file missing..... *.cab ..... and it could not "pull up" Excel or Word. I asked someone else about this and they said to go back to the MS web site and download the *.cab file and run it. I did and it asked me to insert my original Excel/Word discs into the machine and install from there!! I stored my original discs and can't get to them right now. I can see my original files still on the hard drive..... they haven't been moved, just that one *.cab file has been dropped or corrupted or deleted or something. Please help if you can. I was hoping there would be a work around for this problem.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm going to move this to the General MS Office forum since it is not a problem specific to Excel.

I hope that someone will have a suggestion for you; I don't know how to solve this if you don't have the Office 2003 CDs at hand.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Were you told to download an Office 2003 patch? If so, you should be able to download a 'full file' version that gets around the need for the CDs.

Joe
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Some Office updates require that the CD be inserted or that a copy of the install files are on the hard drive. So you need to get your CD and use it to get the update installed. Then copy the CD to a folder on the hard drive and remember where you copied it, so next time you are asked for the CD you can point the update to that folder.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Welcome to the Lounge!

Your problem was hard to understand because you didn't specify FOR WHICH PROGRAM was SP-2 you are trying to install. There are SP-2s for Windows (NT, 2000, XP) and for Office (2000, XP, 2003). They are completely different beasts and require different steps to tame them.

As I understand, you are trying to update Word 2003 and Excel 2003 (standalone versions) to SP-2. Is it correct? If you installed Office 2003 (and Word and Excel are part of Office installation), which "flavor" (Standard, Professional, For Students and Teachers, etc.) do you have? I am asking because you did not mention any other Office programs.

Other Loungers already told you that you probably must to find your Installation CD to solve your problem.
    As temporary fix, you can try to restore your previous Windows configuration. Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore; choose "Restore my computer to an earlier time" option, click Next, select the date BEFORE you tried to install SP-2 (the date must be bold) and follow the wizard.

Then you can try to download full version of SP-2 patch: go to Office 2003 Service Pack 2 page, scroll it down to the bottom and download Office2003SP2-KB887616-FullFile-ENU.exe (101.8 MB download). This download in most cases does not require Installation CD.

Remember, there are post-SP-2 security updates. If you want to install them also, you must to download full versions - for instance, Security Update for Word 2003 (KB917334).

Good luck!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Joe, thanks for the reply.

No sir, I was not told to download OFFICE 2003. I am running Windows XP and I downloaded the Service Pack 2 for Windows XP, not the Office Suite. After the download, I discovered there must have been some kind of file corrupted because after the downlaod, I could no longer "pull up' or "run" or otherwise "execute" either Excel 2003/Word 2003 which I had already installed on my computer when I bought it. I have the students version of Excel/Word.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

The next question: after you installed Service Pack 2 for Windows XP, did you install all post-SP-2 updates (up to 60 of them, depending of your installation) ?
    Especially KB905474 - Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications application ? I am asking, because if your Word and Excel installations have not genuine licenses, Microsoft may disable them without further explanations.

Another question: Did you tried to repair your Word and Excel installation from Add or Remove Programs wizard?
    If you don't, try to do it:
    - Open Add or Remove Programs wizard (from Control Panel or clicking Start | Run, typing APPWIZ.CPL and hitting Enter),
    - From Currently Installed Programs list select Microsoft Office Word 2003 (or Excel 2003),
    - Click Change button - Setup starts,
    - On the next screen select Reinstall or Repair option and follow the wizard.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Kap,

Thank you for your answer/trying to help. I appreciate it very much. I am not sure of what downloads I installed. My computer told me there were downloads/updates (I had my settings at what was recommended) and I let the machine do its thing..... of which, I am very sorry now.

No, it was not a pirated copy of software. In the Spring of 2004 (I think Feb) I paid somewhere around $150 for Excel/Word/PowerPoint, ( Student Version ), right off the shelf at Wal-Mart in Memphis, TN. After the crash I have been using OpenOffice.org. So, MS, if they did something, should have recognized the software as legit.

I will try to run a repair on the applications, thank you for that and for trying to help. I did not know that was a feature of XP. Thanks. I jumped from Windows 3.11 straight to XP. Do you think I am having problems? :-) Have a great day, yall.