New Lounger
    Thanks

Basic Reports (Access 2000 SR-1)

This is a really simple question. I hope someone can save me some grief here. I have constructed a database to track computer equipment and users. Tables include CPUs, Monitors, Printers, Users. All users have a CPU and a monitor. But only 5 users have their own private printer.

My problem is that when I include fields from the Printer table in the report, the resulting report treats them as criteria , not just data. I get a report with just 5 lines, one for each user with a computer. How can I build a report which shows all CPUs, monitors, users, and shows printers for those elite who have 'em? Thanks to those of you who reply, and also those who merely scan this Access beginner's plea ...

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Basic Reports (Access 2000 SR-1)

I knew this had to be simple. Unfortunately I had quite a time finding the needle of information I needed in the haystack of MS Access Help info. My answer was to build a query first, and edit the join properties of the relationship between the CPU table and the Printer Table to specify a join which yielded all listings from the CPU table, and matching listings from the Printer table. Yahoo! I feel triumphant in finding out what I want, and cretinous that it took me so long to figure it out. Guess I've got those learning curve blues ...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Basic Reports (Access 2000 SR-1)

Joining those items should be done in another table, a join table, that includes the primary key of each of the components that make up a single unit joined to the primary key of the CPU or whateve you've defined as the essential core of the aggregated objects, plus maybe a field to define the type of component. So you'd have a record joining the CPU to a printer and another joining the CPU to a monitor, etc. Then all you would have to do for any individual computer would be to query on the join table to get the primary keys of all the components that belong to that CPU.
    Charlotte