Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Desktop won't appear

I have been given an ancient Compaq Pentium III with 128 MB of memory running Windows 2000 professional (no idea what SP) to 'sort out'.

It powers up and logs on OK, and brings up a desktop wallpaper, but neither the task bar nor any desktop icons come up. I can get into Task Manager, and explorer.exe and services.exe are the top CPU users, but after a time it all dies down and apathy occurs.

So far I've tried booting with Last Known Good but with the same results, and had to leave work for the day.

Can anyone think of anything I can do other than trying one of the Safe Modes, before hunting out my old boot diskettes and W2KPro CD?

Thanks

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Thanks

Re: Desktop won't appear

Give it back?

Unless you can justify spending any time on it by guaranteeing you will have a use for it, you are only taking on someone else's disposal problem.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

It was given to someone's mother, and I think it is worth spending some time on it, if only for training purposes...!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Super Moderator
    Thanks

If you have a spare OS CD, format the drive and install a different OS!
    I am sure that is a copy of 98 or 2 out there.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't suppose you've just managed to hide the desktop have you. Can you try right clicking on the wallpaper, select "Arrange Icons by..." and make sure you have a tick mark next to "Show desktop icons"

StuartR

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart

It wasn't just the desktop but the task bar with the all-important Start button that was missing. And right-click brought up nothing, sadly.

For the first time ever I used Task Manager's File -> (New Task) Run to run the Windows 2000 SP2 setup from the old CD I found, which ran fine, restarted, and suddenly the task bar and desktop icons appeared!

Running Ad-Aware and Spybot showed up and got rid of lots and lots of spyware (as I had noticed from Internet Explorer!), presumably because of the plethora of games and assorted rubbish installed...

Let's hope the PC is good enough for purpose!

Thanks, all.

John

Ita, esto, quidcumque...