3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

fill handle shortcut? (excel 2003)

Is there a keyboard shortcut for using the fill handle? I can press shift to make the arrow keys highlight a range of cells, but is there a way to use the arrows to fill, instead of grabbing the mouse? Thanks in advance. Frank

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: fill handle shortcut? (excel 2003)

Not as far as I know. The fill handle provides a lot of different actions depending on how you use it, it would be difficualt to handle all of them in a keyboard shortcut. But you could create a macro in your Personal.xls workbook and assign it to a keyboard shortcut to handle the simplest cases:

Sub FillAuto
    ActiveCell.AutoFill Selection
    End Sub

See Legare Coleman's Personal.xls Tutorial (All) for info about using Personal.xls.
    To assign a macro to a keyboard shortcut, select Tools | Macro | Macros..., select the macro then click Options...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, I shall try the macro route. In each case I will known what I want to fill the cells with, one cell copied to a row or column usually.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

By the way, if you want to fill formulas or constant values down, you can use Ctrl+D, and if you want to fill right, use Ctrl+R. These will not create a series such as Jan, Feb, Mar... or George 1, George 2, George 3, ... though.