New Lounger
    Thanks

Compacting Problem (Access 97)

Has anyone run across a problem where Access renames a file that it has just compacted to a shorter version of the original name? I have had this happen every time I've compacted and it just began recently whereas before it never did.

If you've run into this problem, I would appreciate a "fix-it" solution. Any help would be apppreciated.

Thanks,
    Ellie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Compacting Problem (Access 97)

How are you compacting the database, from the user interface, from code, using JetComp, or what? What do you mean by "renames" it. You mean you give it a name and it shortens it, or do you mean that you're compacting with the database open and the name it compacts to isn't the same as the original? Give us an example of the names in question. Oh, and what operating system are you using?
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply ... I am using Access 97. I have two databases that prior to this worked fine. However, now ... when I click on Tools, Database Utilities, Compact ... it compacts ... and then renames. My first database is called TransferStation.mdb. When Access finishes compacting, it renames it to Trans~.mdb. The next is AutoCustomerFold(Test).mdb. After Access finishes with it ... it becomes AutoCus~.mdb. These two databases have been problem free for quite some time, and the people in our computer department are speechless by this new development. Have you ever heard of this happening? This can not keep happening, because we have other programs that call upon these two databases, and they are failing because other programs can't find them under their new names.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Ellie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Do I understand that both files now exist, or is it that there is only one file with a short filename? Actually Windows should recognize either name as long as only one exists, which is what I assume from the names you included in your message.

However, the Trans~.mdb name isn't a standard short filename since it only contains 6 characters including the tilde (~). What operating system are you using and is the machine set up to support long filenames?

If you wind up with both files, then you've either got a corrupted database or a problem with the Jet engine. Have you tried compacting with JetComp (downloadable from Microsoft)? That requires you to give it a new filename for the destination and it doesn't remove the old one, but it can cure some problems in a database that the internal compact can't.
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yes ... both files exist. They are two completely separate databases from each other. AutoCustomerFolder(Test) is a folder that people can look in to get data on current customers for my company. TransferStation.mdb is a whole different item. It is an Access database, but is completely empty of everything but a macro. It is a "clearing house" for data. Three times a week data is automatically moved into this database via macros from other databases, then the TransferStation copies and renames tables and moves them on to other databases (AutoCustomerFolder(Test) is ironically one of those folders). When this process is complete, TransferStation then deletes all data that had been in it until the next run. There are a total of 8 database tied in with this TransferStation program, all Access databases, but only TransferStation and AutoCustomerFolder(Test) are being renamed.

I don't know how to tell you what version of Windows I am using. What I can tell you is that those names have been in place for two years now with no trouble. That is why it is such a surprise that these events are happening ... our system has never had a problem with long names in it.

Ellie

New Lounger
    Thanks

Charlotte - I just found out I am using Windows NT 4.0!

Does this help?

Ellie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Have you tried changing the name of the folder? I doubt that NT likes characters like parens in folder names, so try using an underscore instead. See if that makes a difference. If not, then we can try addressing it again.
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

Good suggestion ... HOWEVER ... it does not address the fact that TransferStation.mdb has no parens in it. Both databases are being affected by the same problem. Changing the names of the databases at this point is not an option. There are to many other databases that rely on these two ... that would be affected by a name change.

I appreciate the input ... any other ideas? As I said before, these have been working GREAT for a long time, just started having problems recently ... and even in that only through the changing of the name ... which it is NOT supposed to do!

Thanks again for your help.
    Ellie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If they both exist in the same folder, it sounds like that database has a problem. I've seen something analogous when compacting where it finds that it can't overwrite the original database and so you wind up with a series of db1.mdb, db2.mdb, etc. Have you tried decompiling the databases that are being compacted and then trying the compact again? If you aren't familiar with decompile, take a look at this post: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=acc&Number=44732&page=& view=&sb=&o=&vc=1#Post44732>http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showthread...&vc=1#Post44732</A>

By the way, are you doing a compact and repair or just a compact.
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

Charlotte - Progress at last! I opened up the AutoCustomerFolder(Test).mdb and ran a Repair and then a compact. When I checked in the directory, the name of it HAD NOT been changed. So there is a victory! However, when I did the same to the TransferStation.mdb ... it ran and when I checked in the directory, its name had been changed to Trans~.mdb.

Why one and not the other?

Ellie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Only the gods of Redmond could answer that question. However, try compact, repair and compact and see if that helps. You'll need to rename the original mdb and then change the Trans~.mdb to the full name after the first compact, but I know that this used to be the way to cure stubborn problems before compact and repair were combined in Access 2000. I'd also try the decompile on this one if you haven't already done so. That can cure some craziness that compact and repair just doesn't seem to be able to touch.
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

Charlotte ... you are the hero of the day! It worked, compacting, repairing and compacting again. When I finally went through that ... it did not rename the file ... left it as it found it!

Thank you much for your help ... it and this forum have been very helpful!

Ellie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Glad we could be of service.
    Charlotte