Star Lounger
    Thanks

Access 2000 File Format (Access 2003)

I truly don't think I can explain this problem correctly (in part because I'm not very adept with Access, but mainly because it appears bizarre), however I'll do my best and as succinctly as possible.

First, three short paragraphs of background:

Several years back, using Access 2000, I created a database. I eventually got Access 2003 and continued updating. I haven't updated in about three years. but and a month ago began adding material to the table. Everything was fine, all the information would be current each time.

(I'll mention that after I installed Access 2003 -- each time I'd load the file, I'd get a "warning" about being careful about opening the file, asking if I wanted to continue, I'd click "Yes," and then a window would come up with my tables. I'd click on the one named "Books," and it would load, and I'd go to work...)

Today, I went to Office Update, which I hadn't been to in a while, and downloaded four Security Updates. They asked for me to put my Office 2000 disk in the drive -- I was surprised by that, since I have Office 2003 -- but fortunately I still had my old disk, and the update proceeded.

That's the background. Now, the bizarreness.

I'm unable to access my correct file, Books.mdb. But I can access the file. When I load the file, I get a message "Access 2000 File Format," and the table opens -- but missing the last 100 entries. I looks like the list from about four or five years ago.

Fortunately, I have a lot of backups of the file -- not absolutely current, but from a week ago. I "load" a backup -- and the same problem. "Access 2000 File Format," and the old information. I tried converting a clean backup of last week's file, using Tools/Database Utilies. I rename the converted file to Books2.mdb and load that. But the same thing -- the old information.

In fact, it doesn't even appear to be accessing (no pun intended) the converted file. When I open the converted file, that first "warning" window comes up, and notes the correct "Books2.mdb" file. I click "Open" -- the tables window opens...and it now correctly says "Access 2002-2003 File Format" -- but Books2 is not listed among the choices to select from. So, I can't open it.

If I load the old Books.mdb file, it gets listed among the choices of tables, but it's not what I want, it's the old information.

And so I'm at a total loss. I have safe, clean backups of the correct file. But I can't seem to open it, and even if I convert it (which never was needed before), it's not showing up on the tables list to be opened. Unfortunately, I (alas) didn't set a System Restore Point before updating, so that's not an option. I know my explanation might not be the most clear, but that's in part because I'm not the most clear on this -- but if any of this makes the remotest sense to anyone, suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Robert

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access 2000 File Format (Access 2003)

First, about the file format: Access 2003 can handle two different file formats without any conversion:
    - Access 2000 file format
    - Access 2002/2003 file format
    It can also open databases in Access 97 file format, but you won't be able to change the design of database objects; you need to convert to either Access 2000 file format or Access 2002/2003 file format for that.

So you should be able to work with your database in Access 2000 format in Access 2003 without converting it.
    Security is tighter in Access 2003, you may want to set macro security to Low in Tools | Macro | Security. I don't think there's ever been an Access virus, so the risk of setting macro security to Low is negligible.
    There's more info about security in Access 2003 in Frequently asked questions about Access security warnings.

I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but your description makes me suspect that your Books table is (partly) corrupt. Try Tools | Database Utilities | Compact and Repair Database, and see if an error message appears.
    If that doesn't help, and if older backups don't contain the missing records, I fear they're lost for good.

Note: a system restore point wouldn't have helped - it can only be used to restore the state of system files, not data files such as your database. Anyway, I don't think the updates have anything to do with this - I guess that's just a coincidence.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks very much for your answer and time. I just tried your suggestion about Compact and Repair, but unfortunately it was a no-go. I'll see if there are any other solutions, but if not I'll just try re-installing Access 2003, in case this is more than a coincdience that every backup file was working fine before the update, yet showing the same problem after.

The "good news" is that I remembered this morning that, oddly enough, I had printed out the complete database three weeks ago. So, I now know for certain exactly what information isn't showing up; it's definitely only what I've entered the last three weeks Happily, that's all easy to track down, so it will just be a time-consuming task of typing it in again.

Again, thanks for your time.

Robert

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Although I have no proof for it, my intuition says that the problem is more likely to be in this database than in Access itself. Before you reinstall Office 2003, I would experiment a bit to see if similar problems occur in other databases. If you don't have other ones, take the Northwind sample database that comes with Access (Help > Sample Databases) and enter some new records.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Again, thanks for your time and answer. I tried loading the Northwind database, but was unable to, getting various error messages. They went by pretty fast, but one window that stayed up was, "Error 1706: No valid could be found for product DAO. The Windows Installer cannot continue." Why the Windows Installer had to do anything is beyond me...but whatever the reason, it wouldn't work.

That said, I did try entering new information last night into the glitched Books.mdb database to test the file, and it retained it fine. But I don't know if that's the same thing you're suggesting here or if it means anything, since it's the "pre-existing" data which is what appears more at issue (I think).

Thanks again.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

> I did try entering new information last night into the glitched Books.mdb database to test the file, and it retained it fine.

That's a promising sign. Still, make backup copies regularly.

About the DAO problem: if you want to use Access for other purposes, it would be worth while to try to solve this, otherwise it might be easiest to let it rest.