New Lounger
    Thanks

Combo Box List Help (Access 2003)

Hello Friends!
    I have tried looking all over the web for this information, but I guess I do not know the proper lingo to get good hits on my search criteria. I KNOW you all can help me get the answer I need.

I have a combo box on my form that will be used for data entry. I would like for it behave in the following way: When the user types in the first letter of the word on the list the list advances to the first matching item that starts with that letter. This is normal behavior, however what I would like it to do from there is to advance to the next item on the list that starts with that same letter or number if you press the same letter or number key more than once. For example, when I type in forms online and select my state, I usually press "T" twice and then tab on in the form, because the list advances to Texas, just after Tennessee.

I hope I explained that well enough. My apologies for not having the proper lingo. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

-Ronnie [img]/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Combo Box List Help (Access 2003)

I'm afraid that Access doesn't work that way. If you type a T twice, you enter TT in the combo box, and Access will try to match that.
    In your example, you'd have to type Tex to select Texas: T or Te do not identify the state uniquely yet, but Tex das.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Use a listbox instead. This has the behavior you want. Of course, this may present other problems, but it is up to you to decide what is more important.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Guys! I appreciate the quick responses.