5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Automatic update of field (Access 2003)

I have a form to which I have added a Tab. On this Tab is a field holding the date a person first started voluntary work for a charity; this is user supplied.
    There is a calculated field which shows the length of service of this volunteer; this is not a user amendable field.
    I can work out length of service using a function given to me in a previous posting (thank you again) but I want service to be updated automatically every time the Tab is activated.
    There may be no need for the user to update any field on the Tab - just to have a look at the service field.

What event is best for this purpose? (basically I can't understand from Access Help which events are triggered when a form Tab is clicked). Bear in mind that the first time the tab is activated, the start date will be null (this is a new facility they are trying to introduce) so I don't want to tie the event to a field update.
    Thanks
    Silverback
    Silverback

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Automatic update of field (Access 2003)

If the form is based on a table, create a query based on the table and use the query as record source. Add a calculated column to the query that computes the length of service (or Null if the start date is Null).
    If the form is already based on a query, add the calculated column to this query.
    Add a text box bound to the calculated field to the form.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Automatic update of field (Access 2003)

Thanks again, Hans.
    Working OK now.
    Silverback
    Silverback