Star Lounger
    Thanks

won't open address book (IE7)

After working properly, I am unable to open the address book. The error message says

The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, close the program and restart Outlook.

That instruction did no good. I reinstalled Office; I reinstalled WinXP. I need another idea.

Phil

Thanks

Re: won't open address book (IE7)

Where were your addresses before, and can you tell whether they are still there? For example, did you use the Contacts folder as your source for addresses, or a Personal Address Book? Can you use Tools>E-mail Accounts, View/change Address Books, to check for any invalid listings that might be causing the error?

(Note: That's the approximate navigation for Outlook 2002-2003. For 2007, it's Tools>Account Settings, Address Books tab.)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

The addresses actually are still there; I can access them thru the "contacts" shortcut. I just am unable to accesss them by clicking on the address book icons that are sprinkled thru the application. I can access the email addresses as you suggest but they seem to be ok. i do have a couple of entries in personnel address sub-folders that cannot be erased by the usual techniques; however, I think they appeared before the current problem.

Thanks

Try these steps and see whether you can reconnect with your Address Book with your Contacts folder:
    http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showthread...l?Number=334705

Star Lounger
    Thanks

You were great and you were correct!

This was a problem that seems to have come from IE7. Certainly IE6 worked ok. What I am wondering if, from your vantage point, have others had a similar problem. Since the only MS suggested remedy is to reduce the demand on resources, it seems as if there would be quite a groundswell of similar problems. You will remember that I reinstalled Winxp and Officexp and neither of those things changed anything. Actually Officexp reinstalled IE6 and I still had the problem; however, strangely enough, it has been working for years ok with IE6; it was subsequent to the change to IE7 that I had this problem. Who knows? But it would be nice to find a fix.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by DaveA on 16-Mar-07 18:13. )</P>With a new email open, and you click one of the buttons to bring up contacts, what do you have listed in the drop down list in the upper right corner?
    You may have more than one Address book and/or Contacts lists, if so you need to delete the one(s) that are empty.

Edit:
    You should have only one Contacts and one Outlook Address book. I have seen times when one rebuilds their system and restores their PST file there will be 2 Outlook Address books.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

Phil, I've been holding off on installing IE7 (I only use IE for one or two sites), so I haven't followed the news very closely on how it might have been involved with the Contacts folder issue. Doesn't seem as though it should matter, but...

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I have seen no difference using Outlook 2003 with either IE 6 or 7.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have another computer with the same software but different motherboard. I updated it to IE7 - no problem. It's very frustrating - it always seems to me that a new MS software installation will fix anything - but not this time. Anyway, I sure appreciate your thoughts. We do know some things that are ok.