New Lounger
    Thanks

Frustrating intermittent crash (2000/2003)

Hello

I was at a client site Friday afternoon, putting the final touches on some minor form layout changes and minor data updates (no structure changes). I wrapped up and ran a test of one of the app's main features by importing an XML file. Access crashed unexpectedly, presenting an error-reporting dialog with a checkbox option to rebuild the database. Thinking it was just an odd fluke, I attempted the import again with the same results--5 times in all before I determined to bring the database back to my office and attempt repair.

Trouble is, it ran perfectly the first time on my desktop.

He's running Access 2000, I'm pretty sure, while I'm running Access 2003. That shouldn't matter, however, since it's been working fine on his machine for a few years now.

Is there a way to debug these errors? Does Access create any sort of crash dump or external error log?

TIA,
    Jeff

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Frustrating intermittent crash (2000/2003)

Had importing an XML file been tested before on a PC with Access 2000? Support for XML was limited in Access 2000 in comparison with Access 2003.

As far as I know, Access doesn't create an error log or something similar when it crashes.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans, thanks for your reply.

Yes, as I stated, it's been working fine on his machine for a few years now. It's only suddenly after I made those few minor cosmetic and data changes that it's crashing--and it works fine on my machine.

I may have to resort to a Microsoft support case on this one, but if as you say Access doesn't create an error log frankly I don't see how that could help much either.

It's frustrating...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Have you tried the following on a PC with Access 2000?

1) Select Debug | Compile <projectname> in the Visual Basic Editor to see if the code still compiles correctly in Access 2000
    2) Select Tools | Database Utilities | Compact and Repair Database in Access to rebuild all indexes etc.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Those sound like good suggestions, thanks.

I'll try them both next time I'm on site.

New Lounger
    Thanks

After much testing and trying different scenarios with still no positive results, I've concluded that something in the XML data itself--not the structures--are causing the problem. It's a long shot, I know, but I'll be able to prove my theory shortly, when a new XML file comes available for import from the business source.

Thanks.