Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cable modem to wireless router ICS issue

Heya,
    I am having some problems getting my wireless laptops onto the internet, the setup is a webstar EPC2100 modem connected to a linksys wag54gs via the ethernet port, then a desktop pc is attached to another port of the router via ethernet, this pc accesses the internet fine, but the laptops cannot, they are networked and connected fine. I thought it may be a firewall issue, but i have tried many permutations of connecting everything, to no avail. (If i use ethernet cable to connect the laptop, the internet works.)
    Kind Regards,
    Danny D

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Cable modem to wireless router ICS issue

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by DaveA on 12-Mar-07 13:41. Added note about the "On/Off" switch)</P>If the wireless icon is in the "Notification Area" (System Tray) area, right click it and select "View available Wireless networks", then select your network and connect.

If the ICON is not in the Notification Area, go to Control Pane, Network Connections, right click the " and select Properties Wireless Network Connection" and add a check mark to show Icon in Notification Area. On the "Wireless Networks" tab make sure there is a check mark for "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings. Now close Wireless properties pane, and right click Wireless Network Connection again, and select View Available Wireless Networks, select your network and connect.

Edit
    Also check to make sure that the "Wireless" switch is not on the OFF position, as some laptops have a small slider switch on the front edge of the machine. I have had to trouble soot several laptops, and this was the problem, as the owner was not aware of the switch.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, i should re-iterate. The laptops can connect to the wireless router fine, but the internet does not appear to be coming through over wireless, but comes through if i wire them into the router.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

What firewall and blockers are running on these machines?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I tried turning them all off, i'll have to check the firmware of the wireless router for a built in one. Just basic windows firewall, except host has PCGuard (Which i tried deactivating)...