2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

shut down properly or else (2007)

Half the time Outlook accuses me of not shutting down outlook properly and it has to check the .pst file. It never finds a problem, it just delays it's opening. I do use Cloudmark spam filtering. Also, I can't seem top get back my old familiar outlook 2003 contact view with the alphabet in tabs along the right side. And, the links work and take me to Firefox perfectly except for the window that says it can't find it. I feel like I'm whining.
    Thanks
    Terry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: shut down properly or else (2007)

I noticed the shut down messages when I was running Outlook 2007 on XP and could not find anything worthwhile about the issue. I have not noticed that problem since I started with Vista (clean install). That leads me to think I may have had an issue with Outlook itself. Have you tried Help | Office Diagnostics or a re-install? For Contacts have you tried the "address card" view? If you change your browser to IE do the links work properly?

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Diagnostics found one installation problem and fixed it. The next time i opened Outlook I got dire warnings about folders not opening and to call tech support, when I tried it again it opened perfectly; so I hope it's all fixed. I did a google search about the can't find the file window and it told me to go to folder options/ file types/url.hypertext protocol/advanced/edit/ uncheck the dde thing. That never helped until I ran the diagnostics thing! So far so good. Address Card view is much better, I never liked the address card view in Outlook 2003 because the cards were too big, I like it now. IE7 is very slow and sluggish, I would love to uninstall it but it is not in add/remove programs. I blame it for not letting me run WinFax anymore, although IE7 and WinFax coexist fine on my laptop. I went to Outlook 2007 because I was hoping it would my long pause problem. Sometimes when it is receiving mail everything grinds to a halt for an excruciating 5 minutes, then it's fine . I whined about this before and tried everything except wiping my hard drive clean and starting over. It's not using a lot of memory when it pausing but the processor is at 100%.
    Also, is there a way to get Windows Desktop Search to only index in the wee small hours of the morning? It wants to index all the time!
    Terry

Administrator
    Thanks

1.) If you find you don't like Address Card view customize a view of your own.
    2.) IE 7 slow - If you are running XP see The computer may respond very slowly as the Phishing Filter evaluates Web page contents in Internet Explorer 7. If you already have that patch applied you could try turning off the phishing filter at least temporarily to see if it is the culprit.
    3.) WinFax - try uninstall and reinstall.
    4.) Long pause when receiving mail - You could try disabling the Outlook phishing filter (Under Junk mail settings). do you have more than one mail account? Are you getting mail from Exchange server? Are you on broadband?
    5.) Desktop Search - Make sure you have the most current version (3.01). On the magnifying glass in your system tray make sure 'Index Now' is not checked - that way desktop search will only index when you computer is idle.

For future reference and help to other Loungers, please don't post multiple issues in one thread. Don't add issues once a thread has been started. Please try to post to the appropriate forum.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

1.) Address card view is great, I thank you.
    2.) IE7 is still slow, Firefox works so well I don't care anymore
    3.) I have spent countless hours uninstalling and reinstalling and thoroughly removing and reinstalling, it's hopeless. Why did Symantec buy it if they are not going to support it? (rhetorical)
    4.)Junk mail is already disabled because I am so happy with Cloudmark. I have 3 accounts. No server. It's Comcastic! (very good numbers)
    5.) I can't really tell, I assume so because Office 2007 is so new. I can't find an about under any help.
    I'm sticking with XPpro for a year before I try Vista.
    I guess I got carried away with my whining and I kind of think all my problems might be related. My gurus tell me to wipe the drive clean and reinstall everything.
    Terry

Administrator
    Thanks

1.) Great.
    2.) Since you are running XP Pro you can uninstall IE7. Go to Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs and look for Windows Internet Explorer 7.
    3.) Don't think I can add any more.
    4.) Are any of the three accounts web based such as hotmail, gmail, yahoo, etc.?
    5.) Desktop Search is not part of Office 2007. It is an addon component for XP. You can get WDS 3.01 at Download Windows Desktop Search and MSN Search Toolbar. Version 3.01 is the recommended version when Office 2007 is installed.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

2.) I so wish it was there I have searched and searched but it isn't. I looked on Google for an alternative way to remove it but it was so complicated I chickened out.
    4.) No just a comcast account and two from my own domain.
    5.) I downloaded and installed it looks just the same. It didn't show up until I installed Office 2007. I prefer the old start/search even though it was so slow it seemed better at finding deeply hidden files.
    It has gone back to reprimanding me for not shutting down Outlook properly.
    Terry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I just saw indexing options in control panel and I see that search doesn't search everywhere by default.3
    Terry

Administrator
    Thanks

2.) Did you check "Show updates" at the top of the Add/Remove Window?
    4.) Is this long pause a recent occurrence? Could it just be taking that long to log onto the Comcast mail servers?
    5.) By default WDS does not index your whole drive. You need to configure the search options - Right click the magnifying glass in the system tray and select "Windows Desktop Search Options" and then modify the index criteria to what you want. You'll have to wait a while for the indexing to be complete.

I don't know what to say about Outlook not shutting down properly. I'm not seeing that on any PC I work on and my users are not complaining about it. I guess you could try shutting down Outlook and running SCANPST which checks your psf files for errors (C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice12 - Office 2007). If that doesn't work you could shut down Outlook and move your pst file to another folder and let Outlook recreate it. If a new pst file seems to fix it you could then import your old pst data.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

2.)Show updates is checked, it's just not on the list much to my dismay.
    4.) Long pause is about 8 months old. I've emptied the .pst folders and run every repair/check thing I can find. The only thing I haven't done is clean the hard drive and do a clean xp install. The Comcast account is only when comcast wants to tell me something, if I remove it from the account list; it makes no difference.
    5.) I did figure that out. The new OW12.10 doesn't like the new windows search either. X1 works really well as a instant search thing, by the way, I've tried turning it off and rules that out as the cause of the pause.
    I did try 1Click Boost and i didn't have the pause for three whole days; I was ecstatic and happily paid the $29 to buy it. Then of couse the pause came back.
    Not every time but sometimes cisvc.exe is hogging resources when outlook is pausing. Also I can open and run nonoffice programs while Outlook is pausing and they run pretty normally.

Ah the mysteries of life......

Terry

Administrator
    Thanks

2.) Did you delete the $Uninstall... files under c:Windows? If you did you cannot uninstall IE or any other operating system patch you've applied.
    4.) To disable cisvc.exe - Right click MY Computer and select Manage. The open the Services and Applications section. Click on "services". Select Indexing Service. If its status is started then stop the service. Right click the service and select Properties. Change the startup type to disabled. Ok your way out & re-boot.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

2.) No, i would be terrified to do that. Can I run an uninstall from there? ($uninstall....)
    Right after I sent you the last message the little green box that shows up when task manager is on was all green, none of the processes showed any cpu usage above 2 or 3 even the system idle that usually registers the difference between how much processing is happening and 100%. I rebooted and everything calmed down. I tried to open outlook and just got a warning that it couldn't open the .pst file. I put the office cd and ran repair and it''s ok now
    4.)When I try and disable I don't see a disable option when I right click on the service I see two tabs; generation and tracking. I can uncheck the inheritable settings.
    Terry

Administrator
    Thanks

2.) You may be able to run an uninstall IF you can identify the correct folder. However, I'd not run an uninstall from there. Have you made any manual registry changes? You are running Windows XP? XP Home or XP Pro?
    4.) Are you sure you had the Computer Management Console open?

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

2.) XP pro
    4.) It says "Computer Management" on the title bar.
    Terry

Administrator
    Thanks

2.) Is this a work PC? Do you have an IT department that installed IE7? I just don't know why IE7 does not show up as uninstallable?
    4.) can you post a screenshot of what happens when you right click on Indexing Service and select Properties?

Joe
    Joe