Lounger
    Thanks

Backwards compatibility (2007)

Considering getting Office 2007 standard. Can I run old versions of some software on it? Eg, "standard" doesn't include Publisher. Can I run Publisher 2003? Can I run NT backup on it (I've kept a copy from Windows 97(?) - very useful piece of software.

Also, does going to Vista change anything?

Apologies if these are old hat questions. Having difficulty identifying the key issues.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Backwards compatibility (2007)

In general, you can run applications from older versions of Office, but the rule is that you must install (applications from) the older version first, then the newer version. Publisher 2003 should still work on Windows Vista, and Office 2007 onviously will.

Whether you can run NT Baclup depends on the version of Windows you have, not on Office. It probably won't work on Windows Vista.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

There's an article about restoring old backups from NTBackup onto Vista.

NTBackup.exe was absent on XP Home but present on XP Pro, by the way (or that's how it is on my PCs)...

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

John,

I think that Backup was available on the XP Home CD, but not installed by default.

StuartR

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That's correct, but functionality is limited: Automated System Recovery is not supported in XP Home.

See HOW TO: Install Backup from the CD-ROM in Windows XP Home Edition.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, everyone. I've decided to stick with XP Home but upgrade from Office 2003 Professional to 2007 Standard .

1. Can I install 2007 to a different location (say Program FilesMicrosoft Office 2007) and then switch back and forward between 2003 and 2007 at will (but presumably I can't have two version of the same program open at the same time)?

2. If that isn't on, and I install 2007 over 2003 instead, does that leave the programs that aren't in 2007 Standard (Publisher etc) in place, or does it zap them?

3. If it zaps them, how do I get around that?

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

By default, Office 2007 will be installed in a different folder than Office 2003. For 2003, it's C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice11, I assume it'll be ...Office12 for Office 2007.
    You'll probably be prompted at some time during the installation whether you want to remove Office 2003, answer No.
    You should then be able to use both Office 2003 and Office 2007.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> I think that Backup was available on the XP Home CD, but not installed by default.

True -- but what proportion of the populace got to see the 'real' XP Home CD, rather than just a "recovery CD" provided by most OEMs?!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Lounger
    Thanks

When installing 2007, you're offered two buttons: Upgrade and Customize (if I remember correctly). Choose Customize (not Upgrade). There's a message warning that you can't have two versions of Outlook installed, so choose the third option, which defaults to removing all applications provided by your version of 2007 (in my case, Excel, Outlook, Word, and PowerPoint). Deselect all but Outlook, then click OK.

Seemed to work okay.

Thanks for all the help