Star Lounger
    Thanks

separator pages (Word XP)

This one has me tied up in knots. I wanted to try using separator pages in Word XP and got as far as creating a Notepad file with all the correct escape codes, which I then deposited in windowssystem32. I noted that there were some existing files there as well as mine:

myseparator.sep
    pcl.sep
    pscript.sep
    sysprint.sep
    sysprtj.sep

When I try and print out a couple of docs on my HP Laserjet 1022, the first separator page appears, followed by half a dozen pages with a handful of smilies and other odd characters on them, not the documents. Help! The pscript.sep file worked similarly with the user name printed large in x's (cue nostalgia for old line printer output from the mainframe days).

Rex Last

PS This is what the separator page contains:

@

@N
    @H0D
    @H0A
    @D

@T

@F

@E

Thanks

Re: separator pages (Word XP)

Are you (or how are you) using the {PRINT} field? It's difficult to tell from your post. Can you zip together a sample of the relevant files and post it here for review?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The only thing I could suggest is to check whether you are using a postscript printer driver or a PCL one? The sample information you showed looks like the wrong printer language is being sent.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry to be so long in replying to your welcome comments. As for PRINT, I don't see that in KB article 102712. The printer I have is an HP laserjet. I assume that the wrong kind of printer has been selected but how do I change that, please?

Thanks again for the responses.

Rex Last

Thanks

Oh, this is not what I had though you were trying to do. Word has a PRINT field code which lets you send commands to your printer. However, it appears you are taking a very different approach based on the article How to Create Custom Separator Page Files (MSKB 102712). It appears that those separator pages are intended to be printed before any print job sent to that printer. Are you saying that the separator only misbehaves when you print Word documents, or are you trying to integrate more closely with Word?