3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

grant read/write permission for folder (Vista Home Premium)

I downloaded a set of tools for PowerPoint 2003. To install these tools as Add-Ins, the supplier needs read/write permission for the folder where the new tools are located. I located the folder, right-clicked and chose Properties and removed the check mark from "Read Only". That didn't help. I tried finding help from Microsoft and didn't. I got into a Window showing me different types of permissions: Owner, trusted source, User, etc. and tried making changes there but I couldn't discover how to give the supplier one of these designations.

Can anyone tell me, please, step-by-step how to change the permission on this one folder? Now that I can't access them, I REALLY want these tools.

Thank you.
    Barbara<div align='center'></div>

Thanks

Re: grant read/write permission for folder (Vista Home Premium)

What happens if you right-click on the installer file and select "Run as administrator" ?
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I was so concerned with granting permission for the folder (a window opened with my PowerPoint that told me to do that), that I didn't even try to open the folder and run the .exe file. I just tried doing so (at your suggestion) and saw the option to Run as an Administration.

I couldn't complete the action because I had earlier decided to store the unzipped file in a new folder in My Documents rather than the previous suggested choice in c:Program Files and once I changed the location of the folder, it installed with no problem.

Thank you for your advice. I'll try to remember that in future installations.
    Barbara<div align='center'></div>

Thanks

Glad it worked out. Because of the new UAC system in Vista, the "Run as administrator" is one option that we're going to have to get used to.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions