3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Setting preferences in VBE (2003 sp2)

The applications I create are often used by those with Access 2000 so I either develop them in that format or convert them afterward. Some of the apps require a table to be exported to a spreadsheet so the reference I have to Microsoft Excel 11.0 Object Library is not valid for 2000 users and I am given no other option. Is there a way then to set the needed reference the first time the app is opened in 2000?

I saw Charlotte's post 573402 on this but am not sure I understand it.
    Thanks
    chuck

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Setting preferences in VBE (2003 sp2)

Trying to set references in code in Access is difficult. I'd recommend not to try it. Instead, finalize your database on a PC with Office 2000, i.e. manually set a reference to the Microsoft Excel 10.0 Object Library. The database should then work OK in Office 2000 and in later versions of Office too.

An alternative would be to use late binding, i.e. not use a reference to Excel. See <post:=526,156>post 526,156</post:> for an explanation.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

So with the reference to the Excel library removed in the converted copy I added Const acCmdOutputToExcel = 175 under Option Explicit and it worked on my machine. Am I safe to assume it will work under 2000?
    Thanks
    chuck

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You don't need to add

Const acCmdOutputToExcel = 175

for that is an Access constant, not an Excel constant. You'd need to declare Excel constants such as xlUp or xlWhole if you use them in your code.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I think I will follow your first suggestion and set the reference on the PC of the user, or I can bundle the app with runtime. I get a little adventurous sometimes and have to be brought back down to earth. Your patience is greatly appreciated and your help is always the best.
    Thanks
    chuck